Contact Us – Nonimmigrant Visas Embassy London

FAQs due to Coronavirus/COVID-19

Due to the ongoing impact of coronavirus/COVID-19, we ask that you check this information before contacting us, as your question may be answered on our Information for Nonimmigrant Visa Applicants following the Coronavirus / COVID-19 Outbreak webpage. The FAQs include crucial information for non-U.S. citizens, including individuals with urgent need of travel, LPRs, relatives of U.S. citizens, current and future visa applicants, and students.

Due to reduced staffing, we will be unable to reply to any questions submitted through our contact forms if they are answered in the FAQS, so it is vital that you read the FAQs in full before deciding whether to contact us.

Have a question about U.S. visas or need the visa contact form? Please take the time to review the information on our website together with the following most frequently asked questions (FAQ’s) below.

If, after reviewing the information your question remains unanswered, please get in touch using our  contact form at the end of the page.

We aim to respond to nonimmigrant visa inquiries within 5 working days of receipt.  If you have not had a response within 5 working days, please check your email provider’s “spam” folder, BEFORE re-sending the form.

Please note, however, that if the answer to your inquiry is on our website, you will not receive a response.

ESTA is administered by the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection (DHS/CBP).  If you have a question concerning ESTA, please visit their website at for a list of FAQs and contact information.

If you hold a valid B-1, B-2 or B-1/B-2 visa you are not required to register under ESTA.

Your question concerns the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection (DHSCBP) which is the agency responsible for administering the Visa Waiver Program and ESTA.  Please visit their website at by clicking on this link for the answer to your question and contact information.

Information on applying for a visa is available here.  The first step is to select the type of visa that you wish to apply for. Click on the link and follow the instructions. If you are traveling to the United States on holiday, for tourism or medical treatment, and you are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program you are required to apply for a B-2 visa. If travel is for a reason other than that stated, click here for further information.

We do not pre-adjudicate visa applications and, therefore, cannot advise you on the likely outcome of your application.  The only way in which to determine your eligibility for a visa is to apply.

If you have ever been arrested and/or convicted or cautioned of an offense anywhere in the world, we recommend that you apply for a visa before traveling to the United States. Please note that the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law.  You are required to declare the arrest/caution/conviction, regardless of when it occurred and your age at the time.  Further information on applying for a visa and the documents required in support of the visa application is available here

The recommendation that you apply for a visa also applies if you have held a valid visa and that visa has now expired.

We do not pre-adjudicate visa applications and, therefore, cannot advise you on the likely outcome of your application.  The only way in which to determine your eligibility for a visa is to apply.

If the passport in which your visa has been endorsed has expired, the visa in the old passport can still be used provided you are traveling for the same purpose as when the visa was issued and you also carry a valid passport of the same nationality. If, however, the passport authority clipped the corners of the passport when canceling it and, in so doing, damaged the visa in any way, that visa is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel to the United States.  A change of name will not affect the validity of the visa.  We recommend that when traveling, you carry a copy of the document showing the name change.

If you wish to have a visa in your new passport, you are required to apply for the issuance of a new visa by following the instructions on our website.  The visa cannot be transferred into your new passport.

Please note that a B-1/B-2 visa that is valid “indefinitely” is no longer valid for travel to the United States.  You are required to either travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, if qualified, or apply for a new visa.

Please take the time to see our video before completing the form as it answers many of the questions that we are asked – you can find the Youtube video here.

You are required to complete the form to the best of your ability.  You may leave spaces blank when the questions are marked “optional.” You may answer a question with “Does Not Apply,” when that question does not apply to you. If you cannot remember specific dates, you may give approximate dates.  We cannot assist you or provide individual guidance.

Please note:

  • If you make an error when completing the DS-160 you are required to correct it. If you did not save the form, do not know your DS-160 confirmation number, or are unable to retrieve it for any other reason, you are required to complete a new DS-160;
  • If there is insufficient space to enter all of your information, it may be added on a separate sheet of paper and submitted with your application;
  • The site does experience intermittent connectivity issues. If you experience such difficulties we recommend that you try accessing the website at another time and or a different computer;
  • If you experience issues with uploading a photograph, you may bring the photograph to the visa interview.

The requirement that a passport is valid for six months beyond the holder’s stay in the United States is waived in the case of a British Citizen passport holder.
Provided your passport is valid for the duration of your visit, you may submit it in support of your visa application and travel to the United States.

It is also waived for many other nationalities and you can download the “Six-Month Club” update list from Customs & Border Protection for further information. (PDF / 1 page as of July 5, 2019)

If you are traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted until the date on which the passport expires.

Unlike some countries, the United States government does not issue work visas for casual employment. In general, work visas are based on a specific job offer.

If you are seeking employment for a temporary period there are several categories of visa that may be applicable to you:

  • Exchange visitor (J-1) – required for summer employment programs, intern programs for university students, and au-pair programs.
  • Temporary work (H-2) – required for temporary skilled and unskilled employment for which there is a shortage of U.S. workers
  • Temporary work (H-1) – required to perform services in a prearranged professional job for a U.S. employer.


EVUS is administered by the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection.

You will find the information you require by visiting their website by visiting their website.

You cannot request an expedited appointment by email.  All appointments are scheduled online at

If you have urgent medical or humanitarian need of travel and you cannot obtain an appointment that accommodates travel, you should schedule the first available appointment date through the online appointment booking system.

A “Request Expedite” link will appear.  If you click on this, you will be given on opportunity to send the Nonimmigrant Visa Unit an email explaining the reason for your request.

If the request for an expedited appointment is denied, the decision is final and cannot be appealed by email.  The only option available to you is to check the appointment booking system for cancellations.


If your inquiry remains unanswered, please contact us through our contact form.