Crew Members

If you are working as a crew member of an international airline or sea carrier, you may be eligible for a C-1/D visa.

In the case of those working on a sea carrier, we take into consideration the individual’s responsibilities and activities on the ship when determining their eligibility for the C-1/D visa.
For example the most commonly issued C-1/D visas are to crew members of cruise liners and include, but are not limited to, beauticians, entertainers and lifeguards.

If you will be working on a private yacht sailing out of a foreign port and cruising in U.S. waters for more than 29 days, you require a B-1 visa.

If you are to service a vessel in dry dock you will require the appropriate work (H-2) visas unless the work is being done under warranty, in which case you will qualify for the B-1 visa.

If you wish to remain in the United States for a holiday after your period of employment, you will require a B-2 visitor visa . However, if you enter the U.S. aboard a cruise liner which participates in the Visa Waiver Program, you may be eligible to enter visa free. You should check with your employer before traveling.

If you can show that you require both the C-1/D and B-1/B-2 visa, you may apply for them at the same time.  You are required to present a letter from your employer explaining why you require the B-1/B-2 visa and ensure that you select both visa categories when completing the online visa application form DS-160.  You are required to pay only one MRV application fee.