If you are entering the United States by air or sea carrier under the Visa Waiver Program, you are required to apply for travel authorization under ESTA.

ESTA is administered by the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection and not this office.

We are, therefore, unable to answer questions concerning ESTA.

Please take the time to review the most frequently asked questions below.

If you cannot find the answer that you are looking for, please visit the CBP website at for further information and assistance.


Only travelers entering the United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program by air or sea carrier are required to apply for travel authorization under ESTA.

You are charged a fee to register under ESTA; it is $14.

If you have been charged more than $14, you have probably registered through a third party website that charged a fee for submitting your application on your behalf.

CBP strongly recommends that you use the reference number received to check your registration on the official U.S. government site to ensure that you have been registered and that the information is correct.  If not, you may have a problem when you arrive in the United States.


If travel authorization under ESTA has been denied, you are required to apply for a visa.

Due to security/privacy laws, CBP cannot tell you the reason why travel authorization was denied.

A list of the most common reasons is available from their website. If you believe you were incorrectly denied, you may go to the DHS/TRIP Web site and file a redress request through the DHS Travel Redress Inquiry Program.

If you think you may have answered “Yes” incorrectly and were denied as a result, you should contact CBP directly. Further information is available their website .

A recent visa refusal for any reason could result in denial of ESTA authorization, additional review at the port of entry, or denial of admission to the United States even though it concerns a previous passport.

If you are uncertain if you qualify for VWP travel, you may choose to apply for a visa.


If you provided ESTA with your email address when you applied for travel authorization, you will receive an expiration notice when your ESTA is about to expire.

The email will advise you to go to the official ESTA Web site to reapply.  Further information is available from the CBP website.

When you try to retrieve your application number, you must enter the information exactly as it appeared on the approved application.

You should go to and search again for your registration entering the information exactly as you did when you filed the application.

If there was a mistake on your original application, the system will not find it, and as a result you will need to reapply. If you are still unable to locate your application, you may email CBP through their website here.

If you have traveled to these countries on or after March 1, 2011, you might not be eligible for an ESTA.

For more details please see the Customs & Border Protection FAQs.