Required Documents

You are required to obtain the original or certified copy, and one photocopy (with the exception of your passport and photographs) of the following documents for yourself and each family member applying for a visa. All documents are required even if they were previously submitted to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services with your petition.  Please do not submit any documents to NVC.

You are required to bring all of the documents applicable to you to the Embassy on the day of the interview. You must click each section for detailed information regarding documents required.  The failure to bring the correct documents to your interview may result in your application being denied.

Unexpired passport valid for six months beyond your intended date of entry into the United States;

Two color photographs which meet Department of State specifications. These photographs must be full-face and taken within the last six (6) months.

Birth Certificate: Obtain the original, or certified copy (provided by the issuing authority), of the birth record of each family member (yourself, your spouse, and all unmarried children under the age of 21, even if they are not immigrating with you.  If the children are deceased, so state giving year of death). Note:  We will not accept the short form version of a UK birth certificate.  The certificate must list both parents’ names;

If your birth certificate is unavailable you should obtain a certified statement from the appropriate government authority stating the reason why the record is not available. With the certified statement you must obtain secondary evidence. For example:

  • An affidavit from a close relative, preferably the applicant’s mother, stating the date and place of birth, both parent’s names, and the mother’s maiden name.
  • An adoption decree for an adopted child; or
  • A baptismal certificate that contains the date and place of birth and both parent’s names providing the baptism took place shortly after birth.

If applicable, obtain the original or a certified copy of your adoption certificate. The certificate must show date and place of adoption, along with the names of the adoptive parents. This certificate must be issued by a public authority and show that a public record exists of the adoption.

If you have resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, you are required to obtain a police certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO).  Further information is available from their website at

Note: UK police certificates are valid for 12 months only.  Failure to present all necessary and valid police certificates at the time of the interview will incur significant delays to your application.

If you use a different name from the one shown on the birth certificate, you must produce a document explaining the use of such a name. Evidence includes, but is not limited to baptismal certificate/record, a deed poll and/or school records showing early use of name;

If you have previously been married you should be prepared to submit evidence of the termination of the marriage (i.e. divorce decree or death certificate).

Required for all countries where you have lived for more than 6 months since the age of 16 and any country where you have been arrested, even if you were not resident there.  U.S. police certificates are not required.  Police certificates from certain countries are unavailable or are obtained directly by this office.  Fingerprints are required for certain countries. A list of UK police stations who can provide fingerprinting services is available from the Embassy website, here. (PDF – 337kb) Foreign police certificates are valid indefinitely, unless you have returned to reside in that country or has been arrested since the issuance of the certificate;

If you have been been convicted of a crime you must obtain a certified copy of each court record and any prison record, regardless of the fact that you may have subsequently benefited from an amnesty, pardon or other act of clemency or the United Kingdom Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

Court records should include: Complete information regarding the circumstance surrounding the crime of which you were convicted and the disposition of the case, including sentence or other penalty or fine imposed;

If you have served in the military forces of any country you must obtain your military record.  On the day of the visa interview you will be required to furnish either your discharge papers or evidence of terminal leave from the forces.

Note: Military records from certain countries are unavailable. For further information, please contact the Immigrant Visa Unit.

K and Diversity visa applicants are not required to provide an I-864 Form.  However, they must show evidence that they are not likely to become public charges while in the United States. There is no set for that this evidence must take but use of the form I-134 is an efficient way to provide this information to the Consular Officer.

All documents not in English must be accompanied by an official, certified translation in English. The translator must provide  a signed statement confirming that the translation is accurate.  Only one copy is needed. The translation does not need to be notarized.

Note: Applicants are also required to bring the original document, in the original language.

If your petition expires before the visa interview takes place, you are required to bring to your interview a signed letter from your petitioner confirming that you both remain legally free to marry and that you will marry within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.

Please check this page for information about the required fees and how to pay.

To help you further prepare for your appointment and find your way to the U.S. Embassy in London, please also see our appointment guide (PDF 274 KB).