Fiancé(e) Visas

If you wish to marry a U.S. citizen in the United States and take up indefinite residence after marriage, you will require a fiancé(e) visa. You are eligible to apply for a fiancé(e) visa if:

  • You and your fiancé(e) are both legally free to marry; and
  • You will marry within 90 days of entering the United States on the fiancé(e) visa.

If you meet the criteria for a fiance visa, your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) visa is required to file a petition, form I-129F on your behalf with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Please note: if you do not intend taking up indefinite residence but will continue to live and work outside the United States after the marriage ceremony, you should apply for a B-2 visa, or if eligible, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

Your U.S. Citizen fiancé(e) is required to file a petition, Form I-129F on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States.  If the petition has not already been filed, you will find further information here.  The petition can only be filed with USCIS in the United States and will take several months to process.  You should contact USCIS directly if you have any questions about the petition process.