Spouse & Minor Child of a U.S. Citizen Applying for a K-3 or K-4 Visa

If you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen and an I-130 has been filed but not approved on your behalf with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the United States, you may be eligible to apply for a K-3 visa. Children under under the age of 21 with no claim to citizenship, may apply for a K-4 visa. The visa will allow you to travel to the United States to await the approval of the immigrant visa petition.

Applying for the visa

Your spouse is required to file a petition, Form I-129F on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States.  If the petition has not already been filed you will find further information here.

The approved petition will be forwarded to the National Visa Center.  If at the time NVC receive the I-129F petition they have not received the I-130 petition, your application for a K visa will be forwarded to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the Embassy for processing.  Please click here for more information.

Please note that, if the I-130 petition has been received at the NVC, they will process your application for an immigrant visa and you should click here for further information.

Note: We cannot guarantee that a visa will be issued to you by a specific date.  We recommend, therefore, that you do not make final travel plans until your application has been processed and you have received your passport containing a valid visa.