Appointment Notification

You are required to obtain the original documents or certified copies, and one photocopy (with the exception of your passport and photographs) of the following documents for yourself and each family member applying for a visa. All documents are required even if they were previously submitted to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services with your petition.

You are required to bring all of the documents applicable to you to the Embassy on the day of the interview.  The failure to do so may result in your application being denied.

You can also download the list as PDF file (PDF- 425kb) here.

  • Passport:  Your passport must be valid for travel to the United States and have at least eight months validity from the date on which the visa is issued.  Children may be included on a parent’s passport, but if over the age of 16, their photographs must be printed in the passport;
  • Birth Certificate: Obtain the original, or certified copy (provided by the issuing authority), of the birth record of each family member (yourself, your spouse, and all unmarried children under the age of 21, even if they are not immigrating with you.  If the children are deceased, so state giving year of death). Note:  We will not accept the short form version of a UK birth certificate.  The certificate must list both parents’ names;
  • If your birth certificate is unavailable you should obtain a certified statement from the appropriate government authority stating the reason why the record is not available. With the certified statement you must obtain secondary evidence. For example:
    • An affidavit from a close relative, preferably the applicant’s mother, stating the date and place of birth, both parent’s names, and the mother’s maiden name.
    • An adoption decree for an adopted child; or
    • A baptismal certificate that contains the date and place of birth and both parent’s names providing the baptism took place shortly after birth.
  • If you use a different name from the one shown on the birth certificate, you must produce a document explaining the use of such a name. Evidence includes, but is not limited to baptismal certificate/record, a deed poll and/or school records showing early use of name;
  • Adoption Certificate: If applicable, obtain the original or a certified copy of your adoption certificate. The certificate must show date and place of adoption, along with the names of the adoptive parents. This certificate must be issued by a public authority and show that a public record exists of the adoption;
  • Name Change Deed Poll: If applicable, deed poll or other legal evidence showing your change of name (except by marriage);
  • Marriage Certificates:  If you are married, you must present an original marriage certificate, or a certified copy, bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority.  A certificate is required for all marriages, including those that have been terminated;
  • Divorce Decree or Death Certificate:  If you have previously been married you should be prepared to submit evidence of the termination of the marriage (i.e. divorce decree or death certificate);
  • Police Certificates:  Required for all countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16 and any country where you have been arrested, even if you were not resident there.  U.S. police certificates are not required.  Police certificates from certain countries are unavailable or are obtained directly by this office.  Fingerprints are required for certain countries. A list of UK police stations who can provide fingerprinting services is available from the Embassy website, here (PDF – 337kb).  Foreign police certificates are valid indefinitely, unless you have returned to reside in that country or has been arrested since the issuance of the certificate;
  • Police Certificates for the United Kingdom:  If you have resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, you are required to obtain a police certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO).  Further information is available from their website at  Note: UK police certificates are valid for 12 months only.  Failure to present all necessary and valid police certificates at the time of the interview will incur significant delays to your application;
  • Court and Prison Records:  If you have been been convicted of a crime you must obtain a certified copy of each court record and any prison record, regardless of the fact that you may have subsequently benefited from an amnesty, pardon or other act of clemency or the United Kingdom Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.  Court records should include: Complete information regarding the circumstance surrounding the crime of which you were convicted and the disposition of the case, including sentence or other penalty or fine imposed;
  • Military Records:  If you have served in the military forces of any country you must obtain your military record.  On the day of the visa interview you will be required to furnish either your discharge papers or evidence of terminal leave from the forces.  Note: Military records from certain countries are unavailable. For further information, please contact the Immigrant Visa Unit;
  • Evidence of Support (Affidavit of Support): Form I-864, a contractual affidavit of support, must be submitted for immediate relative and family-based applicants and employment-based applicants when a relative is the petitioner or has ownership interest in the petitioner’s business. Evidence submitted with the I-864 must be less than 12 months old;
  • Translations:  All documents not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that states that the translation is accurate.  Only one copy is needed. Note: Applicants are also required to submit the original document, in the original language;
  • Visa Fees:  Please check this page for information about the required fees and how to pay.