Applicants under 14 or 80 and over may be eligible to apply for a visa by courier, provided:
- They are a national or resident of the United Kingdom;
- They are physically present in the United Kingdom;
- They were not born in, or hold a passport from Syria, Sudan or Iran;
- They have not been refused a visa to the United States or, if refused, the refusal was subsequently overcome;
- They have answered no to all the security and background questions on the DS-160 form; and
- They have not been denied entry to the United States.
Once you have submitted your application by mail, a consular officer may still determine that you are required to appear in person at the Embassy. If this the the case, you will be advised by email.
How to Apply
If you are applying for a visa for the first time, or are applying to renew a visa, you are required to take the same steps, but before going any further, watch our YouTube video for tips on applying. Find it here!
Step One: Complete the online DS-160 and print the confirmation page for each person applying for a visa, regardless of age. Answer the questions to the best of your ability; we cannot assist you in completing the form. Before you begin, see our video and SlideShare presentation for additional tips, and information on photo specifications.
Step Two: Go to https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb and click on “Apply” if you are a first time user or “Continue” if you already have an account.
After creating your account, please follow the process and guidance for each person applying for a visa.
If you are applying for a visa at the same time as your child, you may bring his or her completed visa application to your interview.
Please note: that for nonimmigrant visa applicants, the authorized method to send your passport and/or documents to the Embassy is through the contracted courier. This service is already included as part of the visa fee that you have paid and will not incur any additional costs. We are generally not able to accept passports and documents sent by other methods. Please visit https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-GB/niv/information/courier for full details.
Numerous applicants have reported issues using alternate shipping methods, including lost passports. The Nonimmigrant Visa Unit cannot assume responsibility for any lost or damaged passports/documents that are not submitted through the contracted courier.
Documents you are required to submit with your application.
A list of documents you are required to present in support of the visa application is available by clicking on this link and selecting the type of visa required for travel. In addition to the documents listed, you are also required to furnish:
- Copies of traveling companions’ U.S. visa or travel authorization under ESTA;
- Proof of applicant’s immigration status in the United Kingdom (if not UK or EU citizen) such as a copy of the visa or resident card; and
- In the case of a child under the age of 14, the child’s long-form birth certificate listing parents’ names and a copy of their parents’ US visas or travel authorization under ESTA.