Victims of Crime

If you feel you are in danger of any sort, contact the local police immediately.  The UK national number for the emergency services (police, fire department, ambulance) is 999. The UK national number for non-emergency inquiries to police is 101.

If you are in the United States and you need to contact the UK emergency services on behalf of someone in the UK, you should dial 011 44 999 for emergency police, ambulance and/or fire services, or 011 44 101 for non-emergency police services.

If you are concerned about the safety of a friend or relative in the United States, please contact the local police authorities in their last known location.

Being the victim of a crime in a foreign country can be a devastating and traumatic experience. While no one can undo the emotional trauma, physical injury, or financial loss you may have experienced, we are here to help.

What we can do

  • We can help you contact your family, friends, or employer if you wish.
  • We can explain how you can report the crime to local law enforcement.
  • We can provide information about resources for victims of crime in the UK.
  • We can help you seek medical care if you are injured. Please click here for information about medical services in the UK.
  • We can help you find ways to meet emergency needs, such as finding shelter, food or clothing if needed.
  • We can provide information about crime victim assistance resources in your state of residence, if you are returning to the United States.

Legal Support

We cannot provide specific legal advice, represent you in court, or pay any legal costs. However, we can provide you with a general overview about the local criminal justice process. We have also compiled legal information for you. Please click for lists of some solicitors and attorneys operating in the UK.

Citizens Advice can also provide free, confidential information and advice online, over the telephone or in person, including information about sources of free or lower cost legal help.

Questions involving interpretation of British laws should be addressed to legal counsel licensed to practice law in the United Kingdom. The investigation and prosecution of the crime is solely the responsibility of local authorities.

Passport Services

If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, here is how you can apply for a new U.S. passport.

Support in the United Kingdom

You can visit the websites below for helpful resources and contact details, or call the helplines:
Childline Free helpline for under 18s: 0800 1111
Hourglass Free helpline to discuss concerns of elder abuse (Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm): 0808 808 8141
Mankind Free helpline for male victims of domestic abuse (Weekdays 10am to 4pm): 01823 334244
NSPCC Helpline for adults worried about a child: 0808 800 5000
Refuge 24 hour freephone National Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0808 2000 247
Rights of Women
Samaritans 24 hour freephone helpline: 116 123
Sands Stillbirth and neonatal death charity
Tommy’s Pregnancy and baby loss support
Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) for families of America’s fallen heroes
Victim Support (England and Wales)
Victim Support (Northern Ireland)
Victim Support (Scotland)
Women’s Aid (England)
Women’s Aid (Northern Ireland)
Women’s Aid (Scotland)
Women’s Aid (Wales)

Support in the United States

If you need help locating victim support services in your community in the United States, you can contact the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services on 1-800-407-4747.