We recommend that you register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP); click here for further information. Enrollment is voluntary and costs nothing and means that we can better assist you in case of an emergency while you are abroad. We encourage you to enroll whether you are visiting the United Kingdom or residing here.

U.S. citizens may be asked to present a “certificate of good conduct” or “lack of a criminal record” for a variety of reasons for use abroad or in the United States, including adoption, school attendance, employment, etc.

Information on applying for a criminal records check is available from the Federal Bureau of Investigation website at http://www.fbi.gov. Alternatively you can contact the local police department where you reside or last resided in the United States to request that they conduct a criminal records search and provide you with a document reflecting that there is no history of a criminal record.

Documents required for use abroad may require additional authentication.  The Department of State provides guidance on authentication or legalization of documents on their website.

You should be able to obtain fingerprint cards from your local police department or you may contact the National Fingerprint Centre at New Scotland Yard for assistance. We cannot take your fingerprints.

There are two ways to apply for a CRB check:

  1. Call the disclosure application line at 0870 90 90 844
  2. Fill out the paper application given to you by the person who asked you to apply

Further information can be found at www.crbeguide.co.uk

If you are a U.S. citizen or Lawful Resident Alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

For additional information, please visit the website of the Internal Revenue Service at the U.S. Embassy London.

It is difficult to trace someone in the United States when their whereabouts are completely unknown as there are no central records of names and addresses available to the public. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to provide you with information on U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents, or foreign nationals who travel to or reside in the United States.  These records are protected by the Privacy Act and cannot be divulged to third parties.

We can assist in locating a U.S. citizen in the United Kingdom in cases of parental child abduction or missing persons cases, or when a friend or loved one has not arrived at a location on the scheduled date and time. We cannot, however, help you trace your ancestry in the United Kingdom.  You may find the information on our website useful.

U.S. consular officers are prohibited by federal regulation from serving legal process upon foreign nationals or companies, and are not allowed to appoint others to make such service.

We are required to serve certain forms of legal process, such as subpoenas and show cause orders issued by Federal courts,  upon U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are temporarily abroad, but we may do so only in the limited circumstances indicated by 28 USC 1783 and 1784 (see also Rule 45(e) of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure).

To read more about serving legal papers and process go to www.travel.state.gov.  For a list of Process Servers in the United Kingdom, click here.