Due to the impact of COVID-19 and associated national restrictions, the U.S. Embassy in London and the Consulates in Belfast and Edinburgh are offering emergency appointments only for passport and citizenship services that require an in-person appearance.
Please see our website at https://uk.usembassy.gov/america411 for more information, including how to request an emergency appointment if you have urgent need of travel.
In order to replace a lost or stolen passport you are required to apply in person by attending a pre-arranged appointment.
You will go through airport-style security screening. Due to the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19), everyone should wear a face mask if they are aged 11 or over. You can choose to buy a mask or make your own. Click here for information about how to make a face covering (sew and no-sew tutorials are available).
You must not bring laptops or bags above cabin-baggage size to your appointment as they not are permitted into the building and there are no storage facilities available. To save time, we recommend that you keep the number of small bags and belongings that you bring with you to a minimum.
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have been exposed to the virus, please reply to your appointment email to reschedule your appointment. If you have recently entered the UK and you are subject to mandatory quarantine, your appointment should take place after the 14 day quarantine period. If you need to travel in an emergency, please click here to find out how to contact us to discuss your circumstances.
- Form DS-11 available online here or as a downloadable PDF (84 KB). You must print the form but DO NOT sign
- Form DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport. This form will automatically be generated if completing the online Form DS-11 or you can download a PDF version. Submitting this form will permanently declare your passport as lost/stolen.
- One passport photograph
- Non-refundable application fee
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship – such evidence may include but is not limited to:
- U.S. Birth Certificate
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Expired U.S. Passport
- U.S. Passport Card
- For applicants under 16, both parents must attend with the child and present evidence of parentage (such as child’s birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad, listing parents’ names) and government-issued photo identification
- Applicants aged 16-17 should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The accompanying adult must present government issued photo identification
- Return delivery envelope – pre-paid (up to 500g) self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope. Alternative delivery options are available if applying through US Embassy, London. Please see ‘How to Submit My Application’ below.
If you need a new U.S. passport in less than two weeks, you should discuss this during your appointment as you may require an emergency passport.
- Color photograph
- Taken in last 6 months
- No eyeglasses (If you must wear eye glasses for medical reasons, you’ll need to submit a signed statement with your application from a medical professional)
- 2 x 2 inches
- For babies and small children, it is advisable to have someone take the photograph (photo booth photos may not be accepted) Infants’ eyes are not required to be open
Please click here for more information regarding passport photograph requirements.
How much to pay
$115 (for applicants under the age of 16)
$145 (for applicants age 16 and over)
Acceptable payment methods
- Credit/Debit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) – card transactions are in U.S. dollars and you may be subject to additional fees applied by your payment card provider
- Cash (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling)
Fees for this service are paid in person to the cashier at the time of the appointment. Please note that there is no expedited service outside the United States. The option to pay by cash applies to in person applications at the U.S. Embassy, London and U.S. Consulate General, Belfast. U.S. Consulate, Edinburgh CANNOT accept cash payments.
Social Security Numbers
If you have been issued a social security number (SSN) you must provide it on the application for a U.S. passport. If the name on their social security record does not match the name on the passport application please make sure that question 9 on the form – ‘List all other names you have used’ is completed.
If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have (or my child [child’s name]) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”
If you are in the United Kingdom and require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.
If One Parent/Legal Guardian Attends
If any custodial parent is not able to attend, they must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. The form can be downloaded here (PDF). At the time the DS-3053 form is presented, a copy of the same identity document presented to notarize the form must also be provided.
Please note: The notarized DS-3053 must be less than three months old.
Sole Legal Authority
If you have sole legal authority to act on behalf of the child, we require official documentation. Examples include:
- Original copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
- Complete court order granting sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
- Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply solely for the child’s passport
- Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
- Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
- Certified copy of the death certificate for non-applying parent
How to request an emergency appointment if you are in England or Wales
How to request an emergency appointment if you are in Scotland
If you are residing in, or visiting Scotland then you will be required to attend a pre-scheduled appointment at the U.S. Consulate General, Scotland to apply for a U.S. passport.
Processing time for a full validity U.S. passport is approximately 3 weeks.
Your passport will be returned to you by mail when it is ready. Please bring a pre-paid, self-addressed, Royal Mail Special Delivery Envelope to the appointment with minimum postage paid up to 500 grams.
To book a passport appointment in Edinburgh please click here.
On scheduling an appointment, a confirmation number will be generated. Please note that you will not receive email confirmation of the appointment. You must make a note of the date and time for your appointment.
You should also take note of the appointment password. You will require the password if you need to cancel the appointment. No record of your password is kept at the Consulate.
If you are unable to obtain an appointment within 10 working days of your intended travel date using our online booking facility, please contact us at Edinburghemail@example.com
If your plans have changed and you need to postpone or cancel your appointment, that’s no problem. Please let us know immediately by clicking here, selecting “cancel appointment,” and following the instructions that appear on the screen. By alerting us in advance, you’ll allow us to serve someone else in your place.
How to request an emergency appointment in Northern Ireland
If you are residing in, or visiting Northern Ireland then you and your child will be required to attend a pre-scheduled appointment at the U.S. Consulate General, Belfast to apply for a U.S. passport.
Processing time for a full validity U.S. passport is approximately 3 weeks.
Your passport will be returned to you by mail when it is ready. Please bring a pre-paid, self-addressed, Royal Mail Special Delivery Envelope to the appointment with minimum postage paid up to 500 grams. The Consulate does not keep track of Special Delivery numbers; you are therefore advised to keep a record of your Special Delivery tracking number so you can track your child’s passport’s return to you.
To book a passport appointment in Belfast please click here.
If you are applying for several members of the same family and you are having difficulty scheduling them all on one day, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
If your plans have changed and you need to postpone or cancel your appointment, that’s no problem. But please let us know immediately by email to email@example.com
By alerting us in advance, you’ll allow us to serve someone else in your place.
Before you visit the Consulate, please refer to Visiting the Consulate General for information about Permitted and Prohibited Items, Who can Attend the Appointment, Directions to the Consulate General, and Disabled Access.
We are not able to offer routine appointments at this time. If you do not have urgent travel, please keep checking https://uk.usembassy.gov/america411. We will update that page as soon as routine services can resume.