Urgent Information Regarding ACS Appointments
Due to reduced staffing, the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in London and the Consulates General in Edinburgh and Belfast are providing emergency services only until further notice.
If you require an emergency service, please contact the appropriate consular office to request an emergency appointment.
Please check our Frequently Asked Questions for important information. For further updates, please check the Embassy’s website regularly. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to restore full services at the earliest opportunity.
In order to replace a lost or stolen passport you are required to schedule an appointment and appear in person.
- Form DS-11 available online here or as a downloadable PDF (84 KB). You must print the form but do not sign
- Form DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport. This form will automatically be generated if completing the online Form DS-11 or you can download a PDF version. Submitting this form will permanently declare your passport as lost/stolen.
- One passport photograph
- Non-refundable application fee
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship – such evidence may include but is not limited to:
- U.S. Birth Certificate
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Expired U.S. Passport
- U.S. Passport Card
- For applicants under 16, both parents must attend with the child and present evidence of parentage (such as child’s birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad, listing parents’ names) and government-issued photo identification
- Applicants aged 16-17 should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The accompanying adult must present government issued photo identification
- Return delivery envelope – pre-paid (up to 500g) self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope. Alternative delivery options are available if applying through US Embassy, London. Please see ‘How to Submit My Application’ below.
If you need a new U.S. passport in less than two weeks, you should discuss this during your appointment as you may require an emergency passport.
- Color photograph
- Taken in last 6 months
- No eyeglasses (If you must wear eye glasses for medical reasons, you’ll need to submit a signed statement with your application from a medical professional)
- 2 x 2 inches
- For babies and small children, it is advisable to have someone take the photograph (photo booth photos may not be accepted) Infants’ eyes are not required to be open
Please click here for more information regarding passport photograph requirements.
How much to pay
$115 (for applicants under the age of 16)
$145 (for applicants age 16 and over)
Acceptable payment methods
- Credit/Debit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) – card transactions are in U.S. dollars and you may be subject to additional fees applied by your payment card provider
- Cash (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling)
Fees for this service are paid in person to the cashier at the time of the appointment. Please note that there is no expedited service outside the United States. The option to pay by cash applies to in person applications at the U.S. Embassy, London and U.S. Consulate General, Belfast. U.S. Consulate, Edinburgh cannot accept cash payments.
Social Security Numbers
If you have been issued a social security number (SSN) you must provide it on the application for a U.S. passport. If the name on their social security record does not match the name on the passport application please make sure that question 9 on the form – ‘List all other names you have used’ is completed.
If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have (or my child [child’s name]) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”
If you are in the United Kingdom and require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.
If One Parent/Legal Guardian Attends
If any custodial parent is not able to attend, they must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. The form can be downloaded here (PDF). At the time the DS-3053 form is presented, a copy of the same identity document presented to notarize the form must also be provided.
Please note: The notarized DS-3053 must be less than three months old.
Sole Legal Authority:
If you have sole legal authority to act on behalf of the child, we require official documentation. Examples include:
- Original copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
- Complete court order granting sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
- Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply solely for the child’s passport
- Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
- Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
- Certified copy of the death certificate for non-applying parent
How to Submit My Application to the U.S. Embassy, London (England or Wales)
If you are residing in, or visiting England or Wales then you will be required to attend a pre-scheduled appointment at the U.S. Embassy, London to apply for a U.S. passport.
To ensure safe return of your new passport please bring a pre-paid (up to 500grams), self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope to the scheduled appointment. These prepaid envelopes can be purchased from any UK post office.
Alternatively, you can arrange for your new passport to be delivered to you by the courier service, DX. This service is available at the time of the scheduled appointment.
Processing time is approximately 10 working days. If you require a passport in less than 10 working days, you may require an emergency passport. This can be discussed at the scheduled appointment. Please note that application requirements for an emergency passport are the same as a full validity passport.
To book a passport appointment in London please click here
Each family member requiring a passport service must have their own appointment. Appointments do not need to be scheduled concurrently but must be for the same day. You should present all applications at the earliest scheduled appointment.
If your plans have changed and you need to postpone or cancel your appointment, that’s no problem. Please let us know immediately by the appointment link provided above, selecting “cancel appointment,” and following the instructions that appear on the screen. By alerting us in advance, you’ll allow us to serve someone else in your place.
If you have difficulties cancelling your appointment please send an email to email@example.com
How to Submit My Application to U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh (Scotland)
If you are residing in, or visiting Scotland then you will be required to attend a pre-scheduled appointment at the U.S. Consulate General, Scotland to apply for a U.S. passport.
Processing time for a full validity U.S. passport is approximately 15 working days.
Your passport will be returned to you by mail when it is ready. Please bring a pre-paid, self-addressed, Royal Mail Special Delivery Envelope to the appointment with minimum postage paid up to 500 grams.
To book a passport appointment in Edinburgh please click here
On scheduling an appointment, a confirmation number will be generated. Please note that you will not receive email confirmation of the appointment. You must make a note of the date and time for your appointment.
You should also take note of the appointment password. You will require the password if you need to cancel the appointment. No record of your password is kept at the Consulate.
If you are unable to obtain an appointment within 10 working days of your intended travel date using our online booking facility, please contact us at Edinburghfirstname.lastname@example.org
If your plans have changed and you need to postpone or cancel your appointment, that’s no problem. Please let us know immediately by clicking here, selecting “cancel appointment,” and following the instructions that appear on the screen. By alerting us in advance, you’ll allow us to serve someone else in your place.
How to Submit My Application to the U.S. Consulate General in Belfast (Northern Ireland)
If you are residing in, or visiting Northern Ireland then you and your child will be required to attend a pre-scheduled appointment at the U.S. Consulate General, Belfast to apply for a U.S. passport.
Processing time for a full validity U.S. passport is approximately 10 working days.
Your passport will be returned to you by mail when it is ready. Please bring a pre-paid, self-addressed, Royal Mail Special Delivery Envelope to the appointment with minimum postage paid up to 500 grams. The Consulate does not keep track of Special Delivery numbers; you are therefore advised to keep a record of your Special Delivery tracking number so you can track your child’s passport’s return to you.
To book a passport appointment in Belfast please click here
If you are applying for several members of the same family and you are having difficulty scheduling them all on one day, please email email@example.com for assistance.
If your plans have changed and you need to postpone or cancel your appointment, that’s no problem. But please let us know immediately by email firstname.lastname@example.org
By alerting us in advance, you’ll allow us to serve someone else in your place.
Before you visit the Consulate, please refer to Visiting the Consulate General for information about Permitted and Prohibited Items, Who can Attend the Appointment, Directions to the Consulate General, and Disabled Access.