Replace a damaged U.S. passport

We are pleased to confirm that Embassy London has resumed all U.S. passport services, including those requiring in-person appointments. Due to reduced staffing, the Consulates in Belfast and Edinburgh are offering emergency services only.

Please be aware that appointment availability is limited. If no appointments are available when you first check the online calendar, please keep checking the calendar for newly released appointments and daily cancelations.

Keep reading for further instructions.

In order to replace a damaged passport, you are required to schedule an appointment and appear in person.

Required Documents

  • Form DS-11 available online here or as a downloadable PDF (6 pages).  You must print the form but DO NOT sign
  • One passport photograph
  • Non-refundable application fee
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship – such evidence may include but is not limited to:
    • U.S. Birth Certificate
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Expired U.S. Passport
    • U.S. Passport Card
  • For applicants under 16, both parents must attend with the child and present evidence of parentage (such as child’s birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad, listing parents’ names) and government-issued photo identification
  • Applicants aged 16-17 should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The accompanying adult must present government issued photo identification
  • Return delivery envelope – pre-paid (up to 500g) self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope. Alternative delivery options are available if applying through US Embassy, London. Please see ‘How to Submit My Application’ below.

If you need a new U.S. passport in less than two weeks, you should discuss this during your appointment as you may require an emergency passport.

Photo Requirements

  • Color photograph
  • Taken in the last 6 months
  • No eyeglasses (If you must wear eye glasses for medical reasons, you’ll need to submit a signed statement with your application from a medical professional)
  • 2 x 2 inches
  • For babies and small children, it is advisable to have someone take the photograph (photo booth photos may not be accepted)  Infants’ eyes are not required to be open

Please click here for more information regarding passport photograph requirements.


How much to pay
$115 (for applicants under the age of 16)
$145 (for applicants age 16 and over)

Acceptable payment methods

  • Credit/Debit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) – card transactions are in U.S. dollars and you may be subject to additional fees applied by your payment card provider
  • Cash (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling)

Fees for this service are paid in person to the cashier at the time of the appointment. Please note that there is no expedited service outside the United States. The option to pay by cash applies to in person applications at the U.S. Embassy, London and U.S. Consulate General, Belfast. U.S. Consulate, Edinburgh cannot accept cash payments.

Social Security Numbers

If you have been issued a social security number (SSN) you must provide it on the application for a U.S. passport. If the name on their social security record does not match the name on the passport application please make sure that question 9 on the form – ‘List all other names you have used’ is completed.

If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have (or my child [child’s name]) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

If you are in the United Kingdom and require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.

If One Parent/Legal Guardian Attends

For children under 16, if any custodial parent is not able to attend, they must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. The form can be downloaded here PDF (2 pg.).  At the time the DS-3053 form is presented, a copy of the same identity document presented to notarize the form must also be provided.

Please note: The notarized DS-3053 must be less than three months old.

Sole Legal Authority:
If you have sole legal authority to act on behalf of the child, we require official documentation. Examples include:

  • Original copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
  • Complete court order granting sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply solely for the child’s passport
  • Certified copy Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person

If you are residing in, or visiting England or Wales then you will be required to attend a pre-scheduled appointment at the U.S. Embassy, London to apply for a U.S. passport.

To ensure safe return of your new passport please bring a pre-paid (up to 500grams), self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope to the scheduled appointment. These prepaid envelopes can be purchased from any UK post office.

Alternatively, you can arrange for your new passport to be delivered to you by the courier service, DX. This service is available at the time of the scheduled appointment.

Processing time is approximately three weeks.  If you require a passport in less than three weeks, you may require an emergency passport. This can be discussed at the scheduled appointment. Please note that application requirements for an emergency passport are the same as a full validity passport.

Please click here to schedule an appointment at U.S. Embassy, London. When you book the appointment, it is vital that you print or note down your password and the appointment date and time. You will not receive an automated appointment confirmation email or reminder emails.

Each family member requiring a passport service must have their own appointment. Appointments do not need to be scheduled concurrently but must be for the same day. You should present all applications at the earliest scheduled appointment.

Due to a phased resumption of services, appointments are currently extremely limited. If there are no appointments available when you first check the booking system, please keep checking. New appointments are added regularly, including appointments made available from daily cancellations. These appointments can only be booked through the online calendar, not by email or telephone, which is why it is important to keep checking the calendar.

If your plans have changed and you need to postpone or cancel your appointment, that’s no problem.  Please let us know immediately by the appointment link provided above, selecting “cancel appointment,” and following the instructions that appear on the screen. By alerting us in advance, you’ll allow us to serve someone else in your place.

If you have difficulties cancelling your appointment using the online calendar, please click here to contact us.

If you need to apply for a passport and you have imminent confirmed travel (within the next three weeks), please email explaining your circumstances for advice.

If you need to apply for a passport and you have imminent confirmed travel (within the next three weeks), please email explaining your circumstances for advice.