Most passport renewals for adults do not require an in-person appearance. Embassy London is still accepting routine adult passport renewal applications by mail for all citizens in the United Kingdom. Please see below for details of eligibility, application requirements and where to send your application. In person appointments for this service are not available.
Due to reduced staffing, the Consulates in Belfast and Edinburgh are offering emergency services only. Keep reading for further instructions.
Emergency procedures and travel restrictions may change rapidly due to the impact of COVID-19. If you are currently in the United States or another country and your U.S. passport has expired or is due to expire imminently, you should renew your passport before you travel to the United Kingdom.
You may renew by mail if all of the following applies:
Your passport is:
- Issued within the last 15 years;
- Issued with a 10 year validity; and
- Issued in your current name or you have changed your name since your passport was issued and can submit legal documentation to prove this change.
- Form DS-82 available online here or as a downloadable PDF (84 KB).
You must print and sign the form
- Your most recent U.S. passport
- One passport photograph
- $110.00 non-refundable application fee
- Evidence of Change of Name – e.g. Marriage Certificate, Change of Name Deed, Statutory Declaration or Court Order (name change must have taken place after your passport was issued)
- Return delivery envelope – pre-paid (up to 500g) self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope, or DX courier envelope
For specific passport photograph, application fee and social security information please ensure you continue reading this page. Applications received without all required documents will face delays.
DO NOT mail your application to the United States as this will cause delays.
- Color photograph
- Taken in last 6 months
- No eyeglasses (If you must wear eye glasses for medical reasons, you’ll need to submit a signed statement with your application from a medical professional)
- 2 x 2 inches
- For babies and small children, it is advisable to have someone take the photograph (photo booth photos may not be accepted) Infants’ eyes are not required to be open
Please click here for more information regarding passport photograph requirements.
Fee amounts and exchange rates change periodically. Please check this web page for the latest fee before obtaining your payment and submitting your application.
There is no expedited service outside the United States. Please do not include fees other than those stated on this page. Incorrect payment amounts and methods will not be accepted.
How much to pay
£91 (POUNDS STERLING) or $110 (U.S. DOLLARS)
Acceptable payment methods by mail
- Postal Money Order (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling) in the exact amount made payable to the “U.S. Department of State.” The Postal Order can be either crossed or uncrossed.
- Bank Draft (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling) in the exact amount made payable to the “U.S. Department of State.”
Please note we cannot accept personal checks. For more information on payment methods accepted for mail-in applications click here
Social Security Numbers
If you have been issued a social security number (SSN) you must provide it on your application for a U.S. passport. If the name on your social security record does not match the name on your passport application please make sure that you have completed question 9 on the form – ‘List all other names you have used’.
If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase,“I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”
If you are in the United Kingdom and require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.
How to submit your application by mail
DO NOT mail your application to the United States.
All applications submitted by mail are processed at the U.S. Embassy in London.
You may send your application by Royal Mail Special Delivery to the following address:
United States Embassy
Passport & Citizenship Unit
33 Nine Elms Lane
To ensure safe return of your new passport please enclose a pre-paid (up to 500grams), self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope. These prepaid envelopes can be purchased from any UK post office.
Alternatively, you can arrange for your application to be delivered to the Embassy and your passport returned to you after processing, by the courier service, DX. Information on this service can be found at https://www.dxdelivery.com/consumer/dx-services-for-us-embassy#book-service
Processing time is approximately three weeks.