Applying for a First Passport

The U.S. Embassy in London is resuming some passport and citizenship services. Please see our website at for more information. The Consulates in Belfast and Edinburgh continue to offer emergency appointments only. Please be aware that emergency appointment availability is extremely limited.

If you are in possession of any of the following documents, you may apply for your first passport in person through a pre-arranged appointment

  • A U.S. Birth Certificate;
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240);
  • A Certification of Birth (Form FS-545 or DS-1350);
  • A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship;
  • A U.S. Naturalization Certificate; or
  • A passport of your U.S. citizen parent(s) in which you are included.

Note: Many countries have passport validity requirements. Before traveling we recommend you visit the Department of State website to ensure that your passport is valid for travel to all countries you will visit.