Claiming Citizenship – Born Outside the United States

If you were born outside the United States to one or both U.S. citizen parent(s), you might have a derivative claim to U.S. citizenship.

Please consult the transmission requirements .

If you are under age 18, please refer to the Embassy’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad instructions.

Note: Many countries have passport validity requirements. Before traveling we recommend you visit the Department of State website at to ensure that your passport is valid for travel to all countries you will visit.