Child Passport Renewal (under age of 16)

Due to the impact of COVID-19 and associated national restrictions, the U.S. Embassy in London and the Consulates in Belfast and Edinburgh are offering emergency appointments only for passport and citizenship services that require an in-person appearance.

Please see our website at for more information, including how to request an emergency appointment if you or your child has urgent need of travel.

All child passport renewals require a scheduled appointment with an in-person appearance of child with all parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

Required Documents

  • Form DS-11 available online here or as a downloadable PDF (97 KB) 
    You must print the form but DO NOT sign
  • Child’s most recent U.S. passport
  • One passport photograph
  • Non-refundable application fee
  • Original evidence (plus 1 photocopy) of parental relationship (must show parent(s) or legal guardian(s) names), such as:
    • Child’s U.S. birth certificate
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Foreign birth certificate
    • Adoption decree
    • Court order
  • Government issued photo I.D. of parents (such as passports, driving license or military I.D.). Original plus 1 photocopy of biographical page.
  • Return delivery envelope – pre-paid (up to 500g) self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope. Alternative delivery options are available if applying through US Embassy, London. Please see ‘How to Submit My Application’ below.

If your child needs a new U.S. passport in less than two weeks, you should discuss this during your appointment as they may require an emergency passport.

Photo Requirements

  • Color photograph
  • Taken in last 6 months
  • No eyeglasses (If you must wear eye glasses for medical reasons, you’ll need to submit a signed statement with your application from a medical professional)
  • 2 x 2 inches
  • For babies and small children, it is advisable to have someone take the photograph (photo booth photos may not be accepted) Infants’ eyes are not required to be open

Please click here for more information regarding passport photograph requirements.


How much to pay = $115

Acceptable payment methods

  • Credit/Debit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) – card transactions are in U.S. dollars and you may be subject to additional fees applied by your payment card provider
  • Cash (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling)

Fees for this service are paid in person to the cashier at the time of the appointment. Please note that there is no expedited service outside the United States. The option to pay by cash applies to in person applications at the U.S. Embassy, London and U.S. Consulate General, Belfast.  U.S. Consulate, Edinburgh cannot accept cash payments.

Social Security Numbers

If your child has been issued a social security number (SSN) you must provide it on the application for a U.S. passport. If the name on their social security record does not match the name on the passport application please make sure that question 9 on the form – ‘List all other names you have used’ is completed.

If your child does not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: My child (child’s name) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

If you are in the United Kingdom and require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.

If One Parent or Legal Guardian Attends

If any custodial parent is not able to attend, they must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. The form can be downloaded here (PDF). At the time the DS-3053 form is presented, a copy of the same identity document presented to notarize the form must also be provided.

Please note: The notarized DS-3053 must be less than three months old.

Sole Legal Authority

If you have sole legal authority to act on behalf of the child, we require official documentation.  Examples include:

  • Original copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
  • Complete court order granting sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply solely for the child’s passport
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate for non-applying parent

Please see our website at to find out how to request an emergency appointment if your child has urgent need of travel.

If you need to apply for a passport and you have imminent confirmed travel (within the next three weeks), please email explaining your circumstances for advice.

If you need to apply for a passport and you have imminent confirmed travel (within the next three weeks), please email explaining your circumstances for advice.

We are not able to offer routine appointments at this time. If your child does not have urgent travel, please keep checking We will update that page as soon as routine services can resume.