The U.S. Embassy has resumed this service. Please be aware that emergency appointment availability is extremely limited. The Consulates in Belfast and Edinburgh continue to offer emergency appointments only. Please be aware that emergency appointment availability is extremely limited.
Most passport renewals for adults do not require an in-person appearance. Embassy London is still accepting routine adult passport renewal applications by mail for all citizens in the United Kingdom.
Required documents – if in possession of current passport
You must print AND SIGN the form.
- A signed statement (see sample PDF statement here)
- Your current 10 year U.S. passport (if you have not been issued a second passport previously)
- Your previous second passport (if applicable)
- One passport photograph
- $110.00 non-refundable application fee
- Return delivery envelope – pre-paid (up to 500g) self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope, or DX courier envelope
DS-82 applications should be submitted by mail.
Required documents – if not in possession of your current passport
You must print the form but DO NOT sign.
- A signed statement (see sample statement here)
- Valid government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license or a passport of another nationality)
- Proof of U.S. citizenship, e.g. expired U.S. passport, CRBA, U.S. birth or naturalization certificate (if available)
- One passport photograph
- $145.00 non-refundable application fee
- Return delivery envelope – pre-paid (up to 500g) self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope, or DX courier envelope (if applying in London)
All DS-11 applications must be submitted in person by way of a pre-scheduled appointment at your nearest Embassy/Consulate.
The issuance of a second passport is not automatic and should be considered an exception to the regulations. Applications are considered on an individual basis and only approved when justified.
Whether applying on a DS-82 or DS-11, if you need a new U.S. passport in less than two weeks, you should apply in person by attending a pre-scheduled appointment as an emergency passport may be required.
- Color photograph
- Taken in the last 6 months
- No eyeglasses *If you must wear eye glasses for medical reasons, you’ll need to submit a signed statement with your application from a medical professional
- 2 x 2 inches
- For babies and small children, it is advisable to have someone take the photograph (photo booth photos may not be accepted) Infants’ eyes are not required to be open
Please click here for more information regarding passport photograph requirements.
How much to pay
$110 (or £84) if applying with Form DS-82
$145 if applying with Form DS-11
Acceptable payment methods
If applying by mail (Form DS-82 only):
- Postal Money Order (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling) to the exact amount made payable to the “U.S. Department of State.” The Postal Order can be either crossed or uncrossed.
- Bank Draft (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling) to the exact amount made payable to the “U.S. Department of State.”
Please note we cannot accept personal checks. For more information on payment methods accepted for mail-in applications click here
If applying in person:
- Credit/Debit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) – card transactions are in U.S. dollars and you may be subject to additional fees applied by your payment card provider
- Cash (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling)
Fees for this service are paid in person to the cashier at the time of the appointment. We cannot accept contactless payment of any kind. Please note that there is no expedited service outside the United States. The option to pay by cash applies to in person applications at the U.S. Embassy, London and U.S. Consulate General, Belfast. U.S. Consulate, Edinburgh cannot accept cash payments.
Social Security Numbers
If you have been issued a social security number you must provide it on your application for a U.S. passport.
If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”
If you are in the United Kingdom and require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.
How to submit your application by mail
DO NOT mail your application to the United States.
All applications submitted by mail are processed at the U.S. Embassy in London.
If applying using Form DS-82, you must send your application by Royal Mail Special Delivery to the following address:
United States Embassy
Passport & Citizenship Unit
33 Nine Elms Lane
To ensure safe return of your new passport please enclose a pre-paid (up to 500 grams), self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope. These prepaid envelopes can be purchased from any UK post office.
Alternatively, you can arrange for your application to be delivered to the Embassy and your passport returned to you after processing, by the courier service, DX. Information on this service can be found at https://www.dxdelivery.com/consumer/dx-services-for-us-embassy#book-service
Processing time is approximately 3 weeks.
How to apply for an emergency appointment if you are in England or Wales
How to apply for an emergency appointment if you are in Scotland
If you need to apply for a passport and you have imminent confirmed travel (within the next three weeks), please email Edinburgh-Info@state.gov explaining your circumstances for advice.