Due to the impact of COVID-19 and associated national restrictions, the U.S. Embassy in London and the Consulates in Belfast and Edinburgh are offering emergency appointments only for passport and citizenship services that require an in-person appearance.
Please see our website at https://uk.usembassy.gov/america411 for more information, including how to request an emergency appointment if you have urgent need of travel.
Required documents – if in possession of current passport
You must print AND SIGN the form.
- A signed statement (see sample PDF statement here)
- Your current 10 year U.S. passport (if you have not been issued a second passport previously)
- Your previous second passport (if applicable)
- One passport photograph
- $110.00 non-refundable application fee
- Return delivery envelope – pre-paid (up to 500g) self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope, or DX courier envelope
DS-82 applications should be submitted by mail.
Required documents – if not in possession of your current passport
You must print the form but DO NOT sign.
- A signed statement (see sample statement here)
- Valid government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license or a passport of another nationality)
- Proof of U.S. citizenship, e.g. expired U.S. passport, CRBA, U.S. birth or naturalization certificate (if available)
- One passport photograph
- $145.00 non-refundable application fee
- Return delivery envelope – pre-paid (up to 500g) self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope, or DX courier envelope (if applying in London)
All DS-11 applications must be submitted in person by way of a pre-scheduled appointment at your nearest Embassy/Consulate.
The issuance of a second passport is not automatic and should be considered an exception to the regulations. Applications are considered on an individual basis and only approved when justified.
Whether applying on a DS-82 or DS-11, if you need a new U.S. passport in less than two weeks, you should apply in person by attending a pre-scheduled appointment as an emergency passport may be required.
- Color photograph
- Taken in the last 6 months
- No eyeglasses *If you must wear eye glasses for medical reasons, you’ll need to submit a signed statement with your application from a medical professional
- 2 x 2 inches
- For babies and small children, it is advisable to have someone take the photograph (photo booth photos may not be accepted) Infants’ eyes are not required to be open
Please click here for more information regarding passport photograph requirements.
How much to pay
$110 (or £87) if applying with Form DS-82
$145 if applying with Form DS-11
Acceptable payment methods
If applying by mail (Form DS-82 only):
- Postal Money Order (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling) to the exact amount made payable to the “U.S. Department of State.” The Postal Order can be either crossed or uncrossed.
- Bank Draft (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling) to the exact amount made payable to the “U.S. Department of State.”
Please note we cannot accept personal checks. For more information on payment methods accepted for mail-in applications click here
If applying in person:
- Credit/Debit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) – card transactions are in U.S. dollars and you may be subject to additional fees applied by your payment card provider
- Cash (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling)
Fees for this service are paid in person to the cashier at the time of the appointment. Please note that there is no expedited service outside the United States. The option to pay by cash applies to in person applications at the U.S. Embassy, London and U.S. Consulate General, Belfast. U.S. Consulate, Edinburgh cannot accept cash payments.
Social Security Numbers
If you have been issued a social security number you must provide it on your application for a U.S. passport.
If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”
If you are in the United Kingdom and require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.
How to submit your application by mail
DO NOT mail your application to the United States.
All applications submitted by mail are processed at the U.S. Embassy in London.
If applying using Form DS-82, you must send your application by Royal Mail Special Delivery to the following address:
United States Embassy
Passport & Citizenship Unit
33 Nine Elms Lane
To ensure safe return of your new passport please enclose a pre-paid (up to 500 grams), self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope. These prepaid envelopes can be purchased from any UK post office.
Alternatively, you can arrange for your application to be delivered to the Embassy and your passport returned to you after processing, by the courier service, DX. Information on this service can be found at https://www.dxdelivery.com/consumer/dx-services-for-us-embassy#book-service
Processing time is approximately 3 weeks.
How to apply for an emergency appointment if you are in England or Wales
How to apply for an emergency appointment if you are in Scotland
If applying using Form DS-11 and you are residing in, or visiting Scotland, you will be required to attend a pre-scheduled appointment at the U.S. Consulate General, Scotland to apply for a U.S. passport.
Processing time is approximately 3 weeks.
Your new passport will be returned to you by mail when it is ready. Please bring a pre-paid, self-addressed, Royal Mail Special Delivery Envelope to the appointment with minimum postage paid up to 500 grams. The Consulate does not keep track of Special Delivery numbers; you are therefore advised to keep a record of your Special Delivery tracking number so you can track your passport’s return to you.
To book a passport appointment in Edinburgh please click here.
On scheduling an appointment, a confirmation number will be generated. Please note that you will not receive email confirmation of the appointment. You must make a note of the date and time for your appointment. You should also take note of the appointment password. You will require the password if you need to cancel the appointment. No record of your password is kept at the Consulate. Each applicant requiring a service must have a separate appointment.
If you are unable to obtain an appointment within 10 working days of your intended travel date using our online booking facility, please send an email to Edinburgh-Info@state.gov
Please note that applicants who do not appear at the appointed time will experience considerable delays or their appointment may be cancelled.
If your plans have changed and you need to postpone or cancel your appointment, that’s no problem. Please send an email to Edinburgh-Info@state.gov. By alerting us in advance, you’ll allow us to serve someone else in your place.
How to apply for an emergency appointment if you are in Northern Ireland
If applying using Form DS-11 and you are residing in, or visiting Northern Ireland, you will be required to attend a pre-scheduled appointment at the U.S. Consulate General, Belfast to apply for a U.S. passport.
Processing time is approximately 10 working days.
Your new passport will be returned to you by mail when it is ready. Please bring a pre-paid, self-addressed, Royal Mail Special Delivery Envelope to the appointment with minimum postage paid up to 500 grams.
To book a passport appointment in Belfast please click here
If your plans have changed and you need to postpone or cancel your appointment, that’s no problem. But please send an email to email@example.com . By alerting us in advance, you’ll allow us to serve someone else in your place.
Before you visit the Consulate, please refer to “Visiting the Consulate General” for information about permitted and prohibited items, who can attend the appointment, directions to the Consulate General, and disabled access.