The U.S. Embassy has resumed this service on a limited basis. Please be aware that emergency appointment availability is extremely limited. The Consulates in Belfast and Edinburgh continue to offer emergency appointments only. Please be aware that emergency appointment availability is extremely limited.
In order to renew a passport that was issued before the age of 16 or one that was issued more than 15 years ago, you are required to apply in person by attending a pre-arranged appointment.
- Form DS-11 available online here or as a downloadable PDF (6 pages/84 Kb). You must print the form but DO NOT sign
- Your most recent U.S. passport
- Government issued identification (such as a foreign passport or driving license)
- One passport photograph
- Non-refundable application fee
- Evidence of Change of Name (if applicable) – e.g. Marriage Certificate, Change of Name Deed, Statutory Declaration or Court Order (name change must have taken place after your passport was issued)
- For applicants under 16, both parents must attend with the child and present evidence of parentage (such as child’s birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad, listing parents’ names) and government-issued photo identification
- Applicants aged 16-17 should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The accompanying adult must present government issued photo identification
- Return delivery envelope – pre-paid (up to 500g) self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope. Alternative delivery options are available if applying through US Embassy, London. Please see ‘How to Submit My Application’ below.
If you need a new U.S. passport in less than two weeks, you should discuss this during your appointment as you may require an emergency passport.
- Color photograph
- Taken in the last 6 months
- No eyeglasses (If you must wear eyeglasses for medical reasons, you’ll need to submit a signed statement with your application from a medical professional)
- 2 x 2 inches
- For babies and small children, it is advisable to have someone take the photograph (photo booth photos may not be accepted) Infants’ eyes are not required to be open Please click here for more information regarding passport photograph requirements.
$115 (for applicants under the age of 16) $145 (for applicants age 16 and over)
Acceptable payment methods
- Credit/Debit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) – card transactions are in U.S. dollars and you may be subject to additional fees applied by your payment card provider
- Cash (in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling)
Fees for this service are paid in person to the cashier at the time of the appointment. Please note that there is no expedited service outside the United States. The option to pay by cash applies to in person applications at the U.S. Embassy, London and U.S. Consulate General, Belfast. U.S. Consulate, Edinburgh cannot accept cash payments.
Social Security Numbers
If you have been issued a social security number (SSN) you must provide it on the application for a U.S. passport. If the name on their social security record does not match the name on the passport application, please make sure that question 9 on the form – ‘List all other names you have used’ is completed.
If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have (or my child [child’s name]) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”
If you are in the United Kingdom and require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.
How to request an appointment if you are in England or Wales
When scheduling the appointment you should make a written note of the following:
- The appointment confirmation number generated.
- The date and time for your appointment. You will not receive email confirmation of the appointment date.
- The appointment password. You will require the password if you need to cancel the appointment. No record of your password is kept at the Embassy.
You are not required to present a printout of the confirmation sheet on the day of the appointment as your name will be on the access list for that day, although you may wish to keep a copy for your records. Please ensure that you arrive at the Embassy at the appointed time, otherwise we may be required to cancel your appointment.
Please click here to book an appointment to take place at U.S. Embassy London. Each applicant requiring a service at the Embassy must have a separate appointment. When you book the appointment, it is vital that you print or note down your password and the appointment date and time. You will not receive an automated appointment confirmation email or reminder emails.
Due to a phased resumption of services, appointments are currently extremely limited. If there are no appointments available when you first check the booking system, please keep checking. New appointments are regularly added, including appointments made available from daily cancellations. These appointments can only be booked through the online calendar, not by email or telephone, which is why it is important to keep checking the calendar.
If you reach five working days before your booked, urgent overseas travel date and you have been unable to book an appointment despite checking the online calendar regularly, you can click here to request an emergency appointment. Please include the following information in your request:
- The full name of each applicant, and the passport or citizenship service they require.
- The date, time, and point of departure of the overseas travel.
Please ensure you are booking the correct service. Those seeking Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or any other notarial services should only select ‘Request notarial and other services not listed above’ when booking an appointment and not choose ‘Passport Services’.
How to request an emergency appointment if you are in Scotland
If you need to apply for a passport and you have imminent confirmed travel (within the next three weeks), please email Edinburgh-Info@state.gov explaining your circumstances for advice.