UK Visas and Immigration

If you have questions about U.S. visas, please click here.

Questions about traveling to and remaining in the United Kingdom are a matter for the UK government. The U.S. government has no involvement with, or influence on, decisions made by UK border or visa officials.

Click on the relevant sections below to find out how to learn more about each topic and contact the appropriate UK government department.

The United Kingdom is a sovereign nation with the right and the responsibility to protect its borders by enforcing all applicable rules and regulations.

Just as the British Embassy in Washington D.C. cannot influence immigration decisions made by border control officers in the United States, the U.S. Embassy and Consulates General cannot intervene in immigration matters decided by UK authorities.

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) is your best source for information about UK immigration regulations and requirements. If your questions are not answered online, you can contact UKVI directly.

If you wish to complain about your treatment at a UK port of entry, you should contact the UK Border Force.

The United Kingdom is a sovereign nation with the right and the responsibility to protect its borders by enforcing all applicable rules and regulations. The U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulates General cannot provide a letter or any other documentation advocating for you or affirming your suitability to travel.

Click here for information about how to apply for a new passport. Please be aware that an in person appearance at the U.S. Embassy in London or the U.S. Consulates General in Belfast or Edinburgh will be required. Services are by appointment only. No appointments are available in the evening, on weekends, or on any U.S. or UK public holidays.

If the passport application is for a child under the age of 16, both parents should attend the appointment if at all possible. If one parent cannot attend, additional notarized documentation will be required from that parent.

We are unable to rebook flights or provide travel assistance. Please contact your transportation company for information about how to reschedule or rebook your travel. If you booked through a tour operator, they may be able to assist. You can also contact your travel insurance company if applicable.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the delay, the quickest way to seek help is to contact family and friends. If they cannot help, click here for information about emergency financial assistance.

If you are at Heathrow Airport, Heathrow Travel Care, based in Terminal 3, may be able to assist.

Click here for information about the types of accommodation available in the UK, including lower cost options.

As the U.S. government has no involvement with UK visa and immigration matters, we cannot provide the guidance you are seeking. Furthermore, the Embassy does not have a legal department, and consular officers are prohibited by federal regulation from providing legal advice.

UK visa information and contact details can be found on the UK government’s website.  If your questions are not answered online, you can contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) directly.

If you still have questions, you  may wish to consider consulting an attorney. Click here for lists of some law firms operating in the UK. Another source of legal and immigration information may be Citizens Advice.

Please visit the UK government’s website for information and contact details, including information about how to renew your permit or replace a lost, stolen or missing permit.

Visit the UK government website to check if you may qualify for British citizenship, and for information about dual citizenship.

Please note, all U.S. citizens (including dual citizens) are required to enter and exit the United States using a valid U.S. passport only. Questions about which passport to use to enter and exit another country should be directed to the immigration officials of that country.

Please visit the UK government’s website for the latest information and guidance about the UK’s departure from European Union.

We recommend that you contact the immigration authorities of any countries you will be visiting for information on entry requirements. Information about travel to Gibraltar and the Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, and Sark) is provided on the UK Government website.