Moving to and living in the UK

Please click on the sections below for information to help you prepare for your move to the UK and to help you and your family settle in while staying connected to your U.S. roots.

The website links on this page are provided as a point of reference and are not intended to be exhaustive.

The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

UK visa information and contact details can be found on the UK government’s website.  If your questions are not answered online, you can contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) directly.

If you still have questions, you may wish to consider consulting an attorney. Another source of information and guidance may be Citizens Advice, a service that provides free confidential advice online, by telephone or in person in the UK.

Visit the UK government’s website for important information about driving in the UK if you have a U.S. driver’s license.

After a year has passed, a U.S. citizen wishing to drive in the UK must obtain a provisional license, display “L” learner plates, and drive with a qualified British driving license holder at all times until they pass the UK driving test. If you plan to be in the UK for over a year, we suggest that you begin the application process as soon as possible after you arrive in the UK.

If you have a valid GB or Northern Ireland driving license, click here for information about the International Driving Permit which may be required if you plan to drive when you travel abroad to certain countries.

Opportunities at the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in the UK

Click here for about employment and internship opportunities at the U.S. Embassy in London and the Consulates in Belfast and Edinburgh.

Information about careers in the U.S. Foreign Service is provided on the Department of State’s careers website.

Employment in the UK

For information about obtaining the appropriate immigration status and authorization to work in the UK, please see the ‘Applying for or renewing a UK visa or Leave to Remain’ section above.

If you have the right to work in the UK, here are some employment listings.
Civil Service (UK government) jobs
Guardian Jobs
Job Help from JobCentre Plus (UK government) (academic and scientific jobs)
NHS Jobs
W4mpjobs (Work for an MP)

Study abroad and internships in the UK

If you are interested in experiencing life in the UK, many U.S. colleges and universities have study abroad or internship programs. Contact your school’s study abroad or international office for details.

Some private sector internship programs also offer the opportunities to spend up to a year working in the UK. Here are some examples.

American Institute for Foreign Study
EPA Internships
Go Overseas
IST Plus
Mountbatten Program
Prospects: internships abroad

For information about UK tax and National Insurance, please visit the UK government’s website for information from Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Click here for important information from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for taxpayers living abroad. If you still have questions after checking the IRS website, you can call the International Taxpayer Service Call Center for assistance.

IRS refund checks are mailed to the individual’s last known address. If you are expecting a federal tax refund, you can check your refund status on the IRS website.

If you need information about a state tax, you can contact your state’s revenue department.

U.S. citizens abroad are not required to register directly with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

However, we strongly recommend that you enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP registrants receive important information from the U.S. Embassy and registration can assist the Embassy in getting in quick contact with you in case of an emergency. Any information given is protected by U.S. privacy law.

We also recommend that you check the Department of State’s Traveler’s Checklist and country-specific information for the UK.

Visit the IRS website for information about how to file Form 8822 to notify them of a change to your home mailing address.

If you claim Social Security benefits, click here to find out how to report a change of address and how to Social Security claim benefits from outside the United States.

Associations, organizations and resources
Educational organizations

Children’s Education Advisory Service (UK government)
Council of International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
Department for Education
Educational Collaborative for International Schools (ECIS)
English Speaking Union
UK Council for International Student Affairs

U.S. schools in the UK

The following schools offer the American curriculum. Please visit their websites for information and contact details. The International Schools Database and the Council of International Schools may also be able to assist you.

ACS Cobham International School Day and boarding school. Co-ed pre-kindergarten to grade 12, ages 2-18.
ACS Egham International School Day school. Co-ed pre-kindergarten to grade 12.
ACS Hillingdon International School Day school. Co-ed pre-kindergarten to grade 12.
American School in London Day school. Co-ed kindergarten and grades 1-12.
Centre Academy East Anglia Day school. Co-ed pre-kindergarten to grade 12, ages 4-19.
Centre Academy London Day school. Co-ed grades 3-12, ages 8-19.
International School of Aberdeen Day and boarding school. Co-ed pre-kindergarten to grade 12 (grades 8-12 boarding).
Marymount International School Catholic day and boarding school for girls. Grades 6-12.
Southbank International School Day school. Co-ed nursery to grade 12.
TASIS Day and boarding school. Co-ed nursery to grade 12 (grades 9-12 boarding).

U.S. universities (colleges) in the UK

American University for Leaders
British American Drama Academy
Richmond The American International University in London

If you decide to use a relocation firm, please contact them directly to discuss their fees and services. We cannot recommend or vouch for any particular service or organization.

The Relocation Bureau
Worldwide ERC (includes searchable directory of relocation firms)