Military Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Please click on your scenario from the list below to help you find the information you need.

If you will be visiting or based in the UK on behalf of the U.S. Department of Defense as active duty military personnel, a civilian or a Government contractor, you should consult the electronic Foreign Clearance Guide using a U.S. government computer. It contains step-by-step instructions on completing many of the processes required for travel to the UK.

You may also find useful resources within your chain-of-command or from your gaining unit in the United Kingdom. If those officials determine that information or assistance is required from the Embassy or a Consulate, they will contact us on your behalf through official channels.

If you need to obtain a Status Of Forces Agreement (SOFA) stamp you should visit a U.S. military passport agent or office before you depart for your new posting.

Click here for general information about moving to and living in the UK, including information about education, employment, tax, and social organizations.

If you would like to research your family history in the UK, or if you are searching for a military member or veteran, click here.

If you are in the UK and you need information about renewing or replacing your passport, or applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and/or passport for your child, please contact the passport agent on base.

To find out about Selective Service and to register, please visit the Selective Service website.

If the online form is unavailable, you may complete and print this PDF form and mail it to Selective Service System Registration Information Office, P.O. Box 94739, Palatine, IL 60094-4739, USA.  Do not mail the form to the U.S. Embassy or Consulates.

U.S. military recruits must already be a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). An immigrant visa cannot be issued based on intention to enlist and military officials cannot file immigrant visa petitions for potential recruits.