Marriage and Civil Partnerships in the UK

Getting married in the UK

Visit the UK government’s website for important information about getting married or entering into a civil partnership in the UK, which includes specific information for foreign nationals about visa requirements, giving notice, and planning the ceremony.

Getting married in the U.S.

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and you wish to get married in the United States, click here for U.S. visa information.

We are unable to provide you with such a letter or certificate. The U.S. Embassy and Consulates do not have access to U.S. marriage records as they are handled on a state, county or local level in the United States.

We suggest that you contact the registrar to find out of the requirement can be waived. Alternatively, click here for information about how to apply for a criminal records check.

If you would like to obtain an affidavit stating that you are free to marry/have not been married and have it notarized, click here for information about notary services.

You are not required to report your marriage to the U.S. Embassy or a Consulate.

In general, marriages that are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. However, each U.S. state has its own marriage regulations. Therefore, you should contact the relevant state’s attorney general to check whether your marriage and marriage certificate will be valid there.

Marriages do not take place at the U.S. Embassy or Consulates in the UK.

U.S. diplomatic and consular officers do not perform marriages or serve as witnesses.

A religious wedding can take place at any registered religious building. A civil ceremony can take place at a register office or a venue approved by the local council. Please visit the UK government’s website for more information about ceremonies and registrar fees.

You will not lose U.S. citizenship or automatically acquire UK citizenship if you marry a UK citizen.

Click here if you need information about applying for a new U.S. passport to reflect a change of name.

Foreign nationals do not automatically acquire U.S. citizenship if they marry a U.S. citizen and it is not possible for U.S. citizens to ‘transmit’ citizenship to their spouse. If your spouse applies for and obtains a U.S. immigrant visa to move to United States as a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR), they can apply to become a naturalized citizen once they meet all of the necessary requirements.  This typically includes living in the United States for several years.