Important guidance for attending an appointment
You will go through airport-style security screening. Due to the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19), everyone should wear a face mask if they are aged 11 or over. You can choose to buy a mask or make your own. Click here for information about how to make a face covering (sew and no-sew tutorials are available).
You must not bring laptops or bags above cabin-baggage size to your appointment as they not are permitted into the building and there are no storage facilities available. To save time, we recommend that you keep the number of small bags and belongings that you bring with you to a minimum.
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have been exposed to the virus, please reply to your appointment email to reschedule your appointment. If you have recently entered the UK and you are subject to mandatory quarantine, your appointment should take place after the 14 day quarantine period.
The U.S. Embassy and our Consulates General in Belfast and Edinburgh provides the following Notarial services for all nationalities. Each notarial service is by appointment only. Notarial documents must be hand-carried to the notarial appointment and not sent in advance unless you are expressly requested to do so by Embassy or Consulate personnel.
We assume no responsibility for the safeguarding of clients’ personal notarial documents.
Fees, Details and Requirements for Notary Services
Please take the time to read the following useful tips for those using the service:
- The fee per Consular seal is US $50. For example, if you have a document that requires the Consular Officer to sign and acknowledge your signature three times, you will be charged $150.
- Be sure to bring your passport or government issued photo I.D., along with the documents you would like notarized. The name on your identification must match your name on the document(s) you need notarized.
- It can take about 90 minutes for the notarial process, depending on the circumstances of the case.
- Please look at your document and read it carefully before attending the Embassy. If two people need to sign the same document, or if a witness is required, the names of all attendees must be submitted in advance.
- When you have booked an appointment online, write down the appointment I.D. and password. You will need these if you wish to change your appointment.
- Once you have booked an appointment online, if you will bring witnesses, you must use the Notary Contact Form to confirm the date and time of your appointment and the name of each witness. Failure to do so will result in your witnesses being refused entry to the Embassy.
DO NOT sign the document
I have an urgent need for notary services but there are no appointments!
Please note: If your requirement is a matter of urgency and you are unable to obtain a notary appointment at the Embassy or one of our Consulates, you may consider going through the British system for notarial services.
Documents notarized in this way are acceptable for use in the U. S. as they comply with the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents. For more details please refer to Notarization through the British System.
For more information regarding notarial services, please see our instructional video: