Requesting or Reporting a Change of Direct Deposit for Benefits

Reporting a change of bank for direct deposit, or requesting direct deposit for the first time,  MUST be done in  writing, with your signature.  We no longer accept email reports to change or add bank details to your record.

Send your written request to:

Embassy of the United States of America
Federal Benefits Unit
33 Nine Elms Lane
SW11 7US
United Kingdom

Your request should include the following information:

  1. Your full name
  2. Your Social Security Claim number
  3. A daytime telephone number where we can reach you if needed
  4. Your bank details:
      • Name and address of the bank
      • Type of account (Savings or Checking)
      • Name on the account
      • For UK (Sterling, £) bank accounts: Bank sorting code and account number
      • For U.S. (Dollar, U$) bank accounts: Bank routing number and account number
      • For South Africa (Rand, R) bank accounts: the bank 6-digit code an account number
      • For Ghana  (Cedis, GH₵) bank accounts: the name and address of the bank and the 13-digit account number
      • For Nigeria (Naira)  bank accounts:  Name of bank, NUBAN, and SWIFT/BIC code
      • For Sierra Leone (SLL) bank accounts: Name of bank, bank code (3- or 6-digits), bank account number, SWIFT/BIC code

    We may require completion of a Direct Deposit Sign-Up form if the bank information you provide is incomplete.

Note:  Direct deposit is in the currency of the country where the bank account is held.   The bank account must be in the local currency, for example, SSA cannot pay dollars to a Ghanaian bank account.

Important: If you are also reporting a change of address, please go to the Reporting Change of Address page.


Last updated: 26 March 2018