Proof of Residence Outside The United States

The text on this page relates to documentation required when requesting a Social Security Number (SSN) for yourself or your child over the age of 12 years. If you were looking for our set of FAQs on this subject then please click here.

It is very rare for someone who was born in the U.S. not to have been assigned a Social Security Number. The most common reason for such an occurrence is a child born in the U.S. who moved abroad while very young.

You must submit documentation to prove your allegation of absence from the U.S. as the reason a Social Security Number was never assigned.   The documentation must be comprehensive and date from the time the person departed the U.S. to the present.   Proof for each year is not required, but the documentation must provide sufficient evidence of absence from the U.S. (i.e., foreign residency).  We will not accept a Social Security Number application if there is insufficient evidence of foreign residency.

The following documents are examples of evidence that are usually readily available, and these may be used in combination with other personal documents to provide the necessary proof of foreign residence:

  • school records such as report cards or a letter from the school confirming dates of attendance
  • travel documents such as current or canceled passports (U.S. or other)
  • employment records
  • medical records
  • proof of registration with a doctor or clinic

All evidence submitted must be original documents, photocopies are not acceptable.

It will help speed your interview if you bring in your original documents AND photocopies. The photocopies will be checked and retained for your application, and your original documents returned to you immediately.