Emergency Financial Assistance

If you are a U.S. citizen in the United Kingdom and you are temporarily destitute due to unforeseen circumstances, please visit Travel.State.Gov for tips about how to get money.

We can help

If you are having trouble getting in touch with family or friends that can help you, or if you’re not sure who to contact, you should contact us. We can:

  • Help you contact your family, friends, bank, credit card company or employer to arrange for the transfer of funds.
  • In certain limited circumstances, provide a reimbursable government loan. Please be aware that if an emergency loan is issued, your U.S. passport will be limited, and a full passport cannot be issued until after you have repaid the loan in full. Due to the requirements and restrictions, an emergency loan must be understood as a last resort. We will help you explore other sources of funding first.

We cannot provide you with non-reimbursable funds, and we cannot offer a loan to help you live in the United Kingdom permanently  or travel to a destination other than the United States.

You can help

If you are in the United States and you are concerned about a U.S. citizen in the UK who has become destitute, you can call the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747 (during Eastern Standard Time business hours) or 202-647-5225 (after hours EST).

U.S. Citizen Services at the Embassy in London is open Monday through Friday between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm, excluding U.S. and U.K. public holidays.

Please complete our short online contact form and a specialist will reply to you by the next business day.

In an emergency involving a U.S. citizen in England or Wales, you can reach us during normal business hours or the Embassy Duty Officer (after hours) via the main Embassy telephone number: 020 7499 9000 (011 44 20  499 9000 if dialling from the United States). Please note that this number is NOT for visa inquiries.

Please email us at edinburgh-info@state.gov and a specialist will reply to you by the next business day.