Under U.S. regulations, all U.S. citizens – including dual citizens – must enter and exit the United States using a U.S passport only. If you are overseas and your U.S. passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021.
You qualify for this exception if all the following are true:
- You are a U.S. citizen.
- You are currently abroad seeking direct return to the United States.
- You are flying directly to the United States, a United States territory, or have only short-term transit (“connecting flights”) through a foreign country on your direct return to the United States or to a United States Territory.
- Your expired passport was originally valid for 10 years. Or, if you were 15 years of age or younger when the passport was issued, your expired passport was valid for 5 years.
- Your expired passport is undamaged.
- Your expired passport is unaltered.
- Your expired passport is in your possession.
You do not qualify for this exception if:
- You wish to depart from the United States to an international destination.
- You are currently abroad seeking to travel to a foreign country for any length of stay longer than an airport connection en route to the United States or to a United States territory.
- Your expired passport was limited in validity.
Your expired passport is a special issuance passport (such as a diplomatic, official, service, or no-fee regular passport).
- Your expired passport is damaged.
- Your expired passport is altered.
- Your expired passport is not in your possession.
All other passport rules and regulations remain in effect. The Department of Homeland Security maintains discretion to reject any bearer in accordance with 22 CFR 53.2(b)(7) and 8 CFR 235.1(b)
Please check our website to see if you are eligible to renew by mail. You are able to apply for a passport even after a previous passport has expired.
Most applications to replace an emergency limited validity passport with a full-validity passport can be submitted by mail, including for children. Click here for details.
If the passport service you need requires an in-person appointment, we are unable to waive this requirement. Click here to select the service you require for information on how to book an appointment. If you recently entered the UK after international travel, your appointment must take place no earlier than 10 days after your entry into the UK.
Please be aware that as we begin to resume services, routine appointments remain extremely limited. The appointment calendar operates in real time so will show any available appointments, including appointments available due to cancelations. Appointments will not be released on a specific date or time so please regularly check the calendar for any availability.
If you have urgent overseas travel, you do not qualify to travel with your expired U.S. passport as described above and you have been unable to obtain an appointment, please contact us with an emergency appointment request five working days before your travel date.
Please provide the following information:
- The full name of each applicant and which passport/citizenship service they require.
- The date, time and point of departure of the confirmed overseas travel.
- Your UK telephone number.
- The applicant’s current location (nearest city).
- The purpose of your travel.
Emergency appointments remain limited and we continue to prioritize emergency services for life-or-death emergencies. Life-or-death emergencies are defined by the Department of State as serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel within 72 hours (3 business days).
Please also continue to monitor our website as it may be possible for you to book an earlier appointment using our online appointment calendar.
If your request relates to a UK visa application, please visit the UK government’s website and contact the UK government directly with any further questions about your case in light of your expired or expiring passport. They have a process in place to address these issues. As advised, we can only consider emergency appointment requests related to imminent overseas travel.
We are unable to provide routine status updates, including any questions about documents that have been submitted or timeframes for receiving your new passport. Please check your delivery tracking information regularly to see if your passport is on its way. Delivery tracking information can be found on the receipt or other documentation provided to you by the delivery service.
IMPORTANT: We are currently receiving a large volume of emergency requests. Please DO NOT send multiple requests. This delays our ability to respond as quickly as possible.