Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and first U.S. passport

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) certificate is official evidence of U.S. citizenship issued to a child under the age of 18 who was born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s). It documents that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth.

If you or your child is 18 or over and has not been documented as a U.S. citizen, they should click here to find out how to apply for their first U.S. passport.

Dual and multiple citizenship is permitted under U.S. law. All U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the United States using a valid U.S. passport. If you have questions about which passport to use to enter and exit another country, contact the immigration authorities of that country.

Please review our Passport and Citizenship FAQs and our Visiting the U.S. Embassy page for common questions about passports and visiting the U.S. Embassy London for an appointment.

How to apply for a CRBA and first U.S. passport for your child

Click here to visit the Department of State’s website to find out if your child may qualify for U.S. citizenship.

A U.S. official can only determine citizenship as part of a formal application. We are unable to pre-assess applications or advise on the likelihood of issuance before that process. If you think your child may have a claim, we encourage you to apply.

  1. Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA): Click here to complete and print form DS-2029. Do not sign the form until you are asked to during your child’s appointment.
  2. Application for a passport: Click here to complete Form DS-11 online. After you have answered the questions, Form DS-11 will generate as a PDF file. You must print the form because it will not be submitted to us electronically. Do not sign the form until you are asked to sign it during your child’s appointment.
  3. Application for a Social Security number: Click here to complete and print form SS-5. If your child is under the age of twelve and you are applying at Embassy London, you can bring the completed and signed form to the appointment. Otherwise, you can complete and send this form according to the instructions on the form after the issuance of the CRBA.

Visit to find out about U.S. passport photograph requirements, including instructions, image size, tips for photographing children, and examples.

In many cases, the U.S. citizen parent(s) must present proof of their physical presence in the United States. Physical presence is the actual time the U.S. citizen parent was physically within the borders of the United States before the child’s birth. Please double-check the transmission requirements on the Department of State’s website to see what evidence you may need to provide and over what period of time.

Examples of physical presence may include:

  • Education records or transcripts.
  • Employment records.
  • Current and expired passports with evidence of travel to the United States. If you traveled on your parent’s passport as a child, you show entry and exit stamps in their passports.

Other proof may be accepted depending on the circumstances of your case. Please bring as much documentation as you have. You can discuss this with the consular officer during your appointment.

  • Application forms
    – Completed, unsigned CRBA application Form DS-2029.
    – Completed, unsigned passport application Form DS-11.
    – Completed Social Security Form SS-5 if your child is under the age of twelve and you are applying at Embassy London.
  • The child’s U.S. passport photograph.
  • Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States before the child’s birth, if applicable.
  • A pre-paid (up to 500g) self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope for your child’s documents to be mailed to you once CRBA and passport processing is complete. Alternatively, you can arrange for your passport returned to you after processing, by the courier service, DX. Information on this service can be found at
  • The child’s birth certificate: the long form UK birth certificate including the parents’ names and three photocopies information is required. The short form UK birth certificate that shows only the child’s details is not sufficient.
  • Proof of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship. U.S. passport and three photocopies of the biographical data page (the page with the. photograph).If the parent was naturalized as a U.S. citizen, please also bring the Certificate of Naturalization and one photocopy.
  • If one of the parents is not a U.S. citizen: their passport or other government issued photo ID plus three photocopies.
  • If the child’s parents are married: the civil/legal marriage certificate and one photocopy.
  • If either parent has ever been married in the past: the divorce decree or death certificate for all previous marriages and one photocopy.
  • If the child has been issued with a passport of another nationality: their UK and/or other nationality passport and one photocopy of the biographical data page of the passport(s).
  • Documentation if a parent cannot attend the appointment (see information below).

For applicants under 16

Both parents must attend with the child and present evidence of parentage (such as child’s birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad, listing parents’ names) and government-issued photo identification. If only one parent or legal guardian attends, please see information below.

If any custodial parent is not able to attend, they must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. The form can be downloaded here (PDF421 KB). At the time the DS-3053 form is presented, a copy of the same identity document presented to notarize the form must also be provided.

Please note: The notarized DS-3053 must be less than three months old.

If you have sole legal authority to act on behalf of the child, we require official documentation.  Examples include:

  • Original copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
  • Complete court order granting sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply solely for the child’s passport
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate for non-applying parent

Applicants aged 16-17

Applicants should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The accompanying adult must present government issued photo identification. If a parent or legal guardian cannot accompany the applicant, evidence of Parental Awareness must be presented in the form of;

  • A signed note from legal parent or legal guardian with a photocopy of their ID.
  • Proof that legal parent or legal guardian is paying the application fees (Example: parent or guardian name is written on the check or money order)
  • Please note, we may ask the applicant to submit a notarized statement from their legal parent or legal guardian (e.g., on Form DS-3053) which states he or she supports the applicant receiving a passport. The statement must be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian’s ID.

Additional documentation may be requested depending on the circumstances of the case. You will be advised during your appointment if additional evidence is required.

Certificates must either be the originals or certified copies provided by the certificate issuing authority.Your original documents will be returned to you during the appointment.

If any documents are not in English, you must bring a translation supplied by an official translator as well as the original document in the original language.

When scheduling the appointment you should make a written note of the following:

  • Choose ‘Report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the child’s first passport.’
  • Book the appointment in the child’s name.
  • Print or write down the appointment date and time, confirmation number and password (you will not receive booking confirmation or appointment reminders by email).

You are not required to present a printout of the confirmation sheet on the day of the appointment as your name will be on the access list for that day, although you may wish to keep a copy for your records. Please ensure that you arrive at the Embassy at the appointed time, otherwise we may be required to cancel your appointment.

Each applicant requiring a service must have a separate appointment.  Remember to schedule the appointment in the name of your child.  Your child must accompany you to the appointment.

When you book the appointment, it is vital that you print or note down your password and the appointment date and time. You will not receive an automated appointment confirmation email or reminder emails.

As we continue to resume services, appointments remain limited. If there are no appointments available when you first check the booking system, please keep checking. New appointments are regularly added, including appointments made available from daily cancellations. These appointments can only be booked through the online calendar, not by email or telephone, which is why it is important to keep checking the calendar.

Please click here to book an appointment to take place at U.S. Embassy London.

If you get to 5 working days before the booked overseas travel and you still cannot find an appointment, click here to request an emergency appointment and include:

  • The full name of each applicant, and the passport or citizenship service they require.
  • The date, time, and point of departure of the overseas travel

Please click here to book an appointment to take place at U.S. Consulate General Belfast.

If you are unable to book an appointment at least 3 weeks prior to your travel date, please email explaining your circumstances for advice. If you need to apply for a passport and you have imminent confirmed travel (within the next three weeks), please email explaining your circumstances for advice.

Please click here to review appointment booking procedures at the U.S. Consulate General Edinburgh.

You will need to pay the necessary fees during the appointment.

If the child is under the age of 16: $100 for the CRBA application and $135 for the passport application.

If the child is 16 or 17: $100 for the CRBA application and $165 for the passport application.

  • Credit or debit cards: Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club, Discover or American Express.
    Card transactions are made in U.S. dollars and may be subject to additional fees applied by your card provider.
  • Cash: in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling. Please note that the Consulate General in Edinburgh is unable to accept cash.

We cannot accept contactless payment of any kind. Please note that there is no expedited service outside the United States. The option to pay by cash applies to in person applications at the U.S. Embassy, London and U.S. Consulate General, Belfast.  U.S. Consulate, Edinburgh cannot accept cash payments.

These timescales are guidelines only. Some cases may take longer.

CRBA and first U.S. passport: approximately four weeks.

Social Security Card (if you apply during your infant’s appointment at Embassy London): processing of SSC will take considerably longer and you will receive it separately. If you have further questions you may contact our Federal Benefits unit directly at

Emergency passport: can be issued on the same day if CRBA is approved.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
My child was born in the UK and is now in the United States

It is not possible to apply for a CRBA within the United States. If your child has not yet been documented as a U.S. citizen, click here to find out how to apply for a U.S. passport for your child in the U.S. Their claim to citizenship will be adjudicated as part of the passport application process.

My child was born in the UK and is now in another country

Visit the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate to find out how to apply for a CRBA for them in that country.

My child was born in another country. Can I apply for a CRBA for them in the UK?

If you believe that your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship after checking the transmission requirements in Step 1, you should follow the instructions on this webpage to apply for a CRBA and first U.S. passport in the UK. After your child’s appointment in the UK, we will forward the CRBA application to the embassy or consulate with jurisdiction over your child’s birthplace. Therefore, processing will take longer than normal. You will be advised further during the appointment.

If your child is not eligible for citizenship, it may be possible to apply for expeditious naturalization for them under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000If your child is adopted, click here for additional information.

If the Child Citizenship Act does not apply to your child and they wish to reside in the United States indefinitely or permanently, they may be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa. Click here for more information.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is official evidence of citizenship for children under the age of 18 born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) who acquired citizenship at birth. All U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the U.S. using a valid U.S. passport. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you resolve your child’s claim to citizenship before your child’s first journey to the United States.

CRBA or passport services for the child’s sibling(s)

A separate appointment is required for each child that is applying for a service, so please choose a date on which there are sufficient appointments. The appointments can be in the same timeslot if available.

During the earliest appointment, tell the consular officer that you are applying for services for multiple children. The applications will be processed at the same time if possible.

Passport services for the child’s parent(s)

If you qualify to renew your adult U.S. passport by mail you may take your own passport application form and supporting documents to your child’s appointment. You will not need a separate appointment in your own name. We will pass your passport application documents to our ‘Passports by Mail’ team for processing.

If your own passport service requires an in-person appearance, you will need to book a separate appointment in your own name.

U.S. passports for children under the age of 16 must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.  Please sign your name on the line and print the child’s full name above the signature. Print the words “BY MOTHER” or “BY FATHER” next to your signature.

The Embassy does not keep copies of CRBA certificates on file. However, you may apply for a copy of a CRBA certificate through the Department of State in the United States. Click here to find out how.