U.S. passport photo requirements are not the same as U.K. or European photo requirements. Please take the time to read the following as we will only accept photographs that meet U.S. passport photo specifications. The dimensions are the same for passport application forms DS-11, DS-82, and DS-5504.
Your photograph must reflect your current appearance and meet the following specifications:
- Taken within the last 6 months and be 2″ by 2″ (two inches by two inches), excluding any borders;
- Present the full head from top of hair to bottom of chin; height of head should measure 1 inch to 1-3/8 inches (25mm to 35mm);
- Eye height must be between 1-1/8 inches to 1-3/8 inches (28mm to 35 mm) from the bottom of the photo;
- Background must be white or off-white;
- Your image must be centered and facing forward;
- Must be taken in color (NOT black and white);
- There must be no distracting shadows on your face or background;
- Be taken in normal street attire, without a hat, head covering, or dark glasses unless a signed doctor’s statement is submitted verifying the item is used daily for medical purposes;
- In the case of a baby, the eyes are not required to be open.
If you choose to submit digitized photographs, they must meet the requirements as listed above or they will be rejected. Some printers will produce an unacceptable photograph in which the dots are seen, or the image is grainy. Acceptable photographs are printed on high-quality photographic paper, have a continuous tone image that is very photo-like, and show the subject clearly in focus.
Provided the photographs meet the specified requirements as listed above, any photographer may take them. We cannot recommend any specific photographer, or assume any responsibility for their efficiency, integrity, or reliability. Fees and the service provided are a matter solely between you and photographer selected.