Claiming U.S. Citizenship


If you were born outside the United States to one or both U.S. citizen parent(s), you might have a derivative claim to U.S. citizenship.  Please consult the transmission requirements.  If you believe that you qualify, please follow the instructions on this page.

If you are under the age of 18, please refer to the Embassy’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad instructions.

If you are aged 18 or above and have never been documented as a U.S. citizen by your parent(s), you are required to follow the information on these pages and schedule an appointment to apply in person.

Requirement: You must have at least one child page associated to this parent in order for the previous and next navigation to appear. This message will disappear once you meet the requirement.