Applying for your first U.S. passport

Dual and multiple citizenship is permitted under U.S. law. All U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the United States using a valid U.S. passport. If you have questions about which passport to use to enter and exit another country, contact the immigration authorities of that country.

Please review our Passport and Citizenship FAQs and our Visiting the U.S. Embassy page for common questions about passports and visiting the U.S. Embassy London for an appointment.

How to apply for your first U.S. passport

If you were born in the United States or you have been officially documented as a U.S. citizen another way but you have never been issued with a U.S. passport, follow these instructions to apply for your first U.S. passport.

You may apply for a U.S. passport by following the instructions on this webpage if you have any of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
  • Your U.S. citizen parent’s passport in which you were included

A U.S. official can only determine your eligibility for a passport as part of a formal application. We are unable to pre-assess applications or advise on the likelihood of issuance before that process.

Click here to complete Form DS-11 online. After you have answered the questions, Form DS-11 will generate as a PDF file. You must print the form because it will not be submitted to us electronically. Do not sign the form until you are asked to sign it during your appointment.

Visit for U.S. passport photograph requirements, including instructions, image size, and examples.

  • Your passport application (Form DS-11)
  • Your U.S. passport photograph
  • Evidence of your U.S. citizenship
  • A pre-paid (up to 500g) self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope for your passport to be mailed to you if your passport application is approved. Alternatively, you can arrange for your passport returned to you after processing, by the courier service, DX. Information on this service can be found at
  • Valid government issued photo ID such as a U.S. or foreign passport, driver’s license or military identification.
  • Foreign passport(s) that you have held or been included in (valid and expired).
  • Evidence of name change (if applicable). If you have changed your name since your proof of U.S. citizenship was issued, provide the relevant documentation (such as marriage certificate, divorce certificate, or change of name deed).

For applicants under 16

Both parents must attend with the child and present evidence of parentage (such as child’s birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad, listing parents’ names) and government-issued photo identification. If only one parent or legal guardian attends, please see information below.

If any custodial parent is not able to attend, they must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. The form can be downloaded here (PDF421 KB). At the time the DS-3053 form is presented, a copy of the same identity document presented to notarize the form must also be provided.

Please note: The notarized DS-3053 must be less than three months old. In certain countries, a DS-3053 must be notarized at a U.S. embassy or consulate and cannot be notarized by a local notary public.

The US Embassy accepts both in-person and online notaries. Click here for more information on online notarial services for U.S. passport application purposes.

If you have sole legal authority to act on behalf of the child, we require official documentation.  Examples include:

  • Original copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
  • Complete court order granting sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply solely for the child’s passport
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate for non-applying parent

Applicants aged 16-17

Applicants should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The accompanying adult must present government issued photo identification. If a parent or legal guardian cannot accompany the applicant, evidence of Parental Awareness must be presented in the form of;

  • A signed note from legal parent or legal guardian with a photocopy of their ID.
  • Proof that legal parent or legal guardian is paying the application fees (Example: parent or guardian name is written on the check or money order)
  • Please note, we may ask the applicant to submit a notarized statement from their legal parent or legal guardian (e.g., on Form DS-3053) which states he or she supports the applicant receiving a passport. The statement must be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian’s ID.

Additional documentation may be requested depending on the circumstances of the case. You will be advised during your appointment if additional evidence is required.

Certificates must either be the originals or certified copies provided by the certificate issuing authority. Your original documents will be returned to you during the appointment.

If any documents are not in English, you must bring a translation supplied by an official translator as well as the original document in the original language.

When scheduling the appointment you should make a written note of the following:

  • The appointment confirmation number generated.
  • The date and time for your appointment. You will not receive email confirmation of the appointment date.
  • The appointment password.  You will require the password if you need to cancel the appointment. No record of your password is kept at the Embassy.

You are not required to present a printout of the confirmation sheet on the day of the appointment as your name will be on the access list for that day, although you may wish to keep a copy for your records. Please ensure that you arrive at the Embassy at the appointed time, otherwise we may be required to cancel your appointment.

Each applicant requiring a service at the Embassy must have a separate appointment. Schedule the appointment in the name of the applicant. When you book the appointment, it is vital that you print or note down your password and the appointment date and time. You will not receive an automated appointment confirmation email or reminder emails.

If there are no appointments available when you first check the booking system, please keep checking. New appointments are regularly added, including appointments made available from daily cancellations. These appointments can only be booked through the online calendar, not by email or telephone, which is why it is important to keep checking the calendar.

Please click here to book an appointment to take place at U.S. Embassy London.

At U.S. Embassy London we aim to be open and accessible to all visitors. If you require additional assistance or accessibility accommodations when attending your appointment, please complete the Access London Passport & Citizenship contact form here. We endeavor to respond to all enquires within 48 hours.

Please Note: The Access London contact form is for passport and citizenship appointments. For visa services please consult the U.S. Embassy London website.

If you reach five working days before your booked, urgent overseas travel date and you have been unable to book an appointment despite checking the online calendar regularly, you can click here to request an emergency appointment. Please include the following information in your request:

  • The full name of each applicant, and the passport or citizenship service they require.
  • The date, time, and point of departure of the overseas travel.

Please click here to book an appointment at the U.S. Consulate General Belfast.
If you are in Northern Ireland and need to apply for a passport and you have imminent confirmed travel (within the next three weeks), please email explaining your circumstances for advice.

Due to a temporary facility closure for a construction project, all passport services at U.S. Consulate General Edinburgh are currently suspended. During this closure routine passport services will be available at U.S. Embassy London and U.S. Consulate General Belfast. Please refer to the information above to schedule an appointment at one of these locations.

As fees and exchange rates are subject to change, the exact amount in your case will be confirmed during your appointment.

$135 for applicants under the age of 16
 for applicants aged 16 or over.

You will need to pay the necessary fee during the appointment.

  • Credit or debit cards: Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club, Discover or American Express.
    Card transactions are made in U.S. dollars and may be subject to additional fees applied by your card provider.
  • Cash: in U.S. dollars or pounds sterling. Please note that the Consulate General in Edinburgh is unable to accept cash.

The average timeframe is approximately three weeks. This estimate is for guidance only as some cases can take longer.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

The Embassy does not keep copies of CRBA certificates or passport applications on file.

If you believe that a CRBA may have been issued, you may apply for a copy of a CRBA certificate through the Department of State in the United States. Click here to find out how. Information about how to apply for copies of U.S. passport records can also be found through the Department of State’s website.

All U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the U.S. using a valid U.S. passport. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you resolve your claim to citizenship before you next travel to the United States.