Child and Family Matters

The U.S. Embassy in London and our Consulates can help with the following child and family matters:


For U.S. and UK adoption procedures please refer to our Adoption page.

Two-Parent Consent

Parental consent is required for U.S. passport applications for children under the age of sixteen. Further details can be found on our Renew a Child’s Passport under the age of 16 page.

Births & Eligibility for a Consular Report of Birth

A child born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may be eligible for U.S. citizenship if the parent(s) meets the requirements for transmitting U.S. citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act. U.S. citizens eligible to transmit citizenship are required to file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

Please consult our Births section for details.