If you reside in Scotland you are required to register the birth of the child at the U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh through a pre-arranged appointment. The appointment should be scheduled in the child’s name and the child is required to appear. The parent(s) may add their name as accompany once the appointment has been scheduled.
Please mail the following documents to us at least 7 days in advance:
- Form DS-2029, application for a consular report of birth abroad – completed fully but not signed;
- Form DS-11, application for a passport – completed fully but not signed;
- Two photocopies of the child’s long-form British birth certificate (this is the certificate showing both parents’ names);
- One photocopy of the parents’ marriage certificate, if applicable;
- One photocopy of the parents’ divorce decree(s), if applicable;
- One photocopy of the death certificate for the parent’s previous spouse, if applicable;
- One photocopy of the details page of the US passport of the American citizen parent(s);
- One photocopy of the details page of the foreign passport belonging to a non-American citizen parent; and
- A note giving the date and time of your appointment.
If you do not send the documents in advance it will not be possible to deal with your application and you will be asked to book an appointment on another day.
You must bring the original documents to your appointment. No additional photocopies are required on the day of appointment;
Scheduling the Appointment
To book an appointment, please follow this link. Each applicant requiring a service at the Consulate must have a separate appointment. If you are unable to obtain an appointment within 10 working days of your intended travel date using our online booking facility, please contact us through our contact form.
On scheduling an appointment, a confirmation number will be generated. Please note that you will not receive email confirmation of the appointment. You must make a note of the date and time for your appointment.
You should also take note of the appointment password. You will require the password if you need to cancel the appointment. No record of your password is kept at the Consulate.
Please note that applicants who do not appear at the appointed time will experience considerable delays or their appointment may be cancelled.
Canceling the Appointment
If your plans have changed and you need to postpone or cancel your appointment, that’s no problem. But please let us know immediately by clicking here, selecting “cancel appointment,” and following the instructions that appear on the screen. By alerting us in advance, you’ll allow us to serve someone else in your place.