Application by One Parent

When applying for a passport service for a child under 16, both parents are normally required to appear.  If only one parent is able to appear they should furnish the following, in addition to forms and documents listed for the passport application:

  • Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) [PDF  / 51 KB] completed by the absent parent must be notarized before a U.S. Notary Public, British Notary Public, or British Solicitor. The notary or solicitor must place his/her official seal upon the document and the notarization must be no more than 3 months old.  Click here for further information. The absent parent must also provide an original or clear photocopy of the government-issued photo I.D.(such as their U.S or foreign passport, driving license or military I.D) which they presented when notarizing Form DS-3053.

Alternatively, the applying parent may furnish one of the following documents:

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent;
  • Child’s birth certificate listing only applying parent;
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent);
  • Court Order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e the absent parent has no access to the child.  Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order;
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent or
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent