Child Abuse Registry & Criminal Background Checks

The UK Government does not hold a centralized child abuse register.  Information regarding an offender would be found on a criminal record check, which each adoptive parent would be required to apply for from the UK authorities if they had resided in the United Kingdom for longer than one year.

For information on obtaining criminal background checks, see our page at Criminal Record Checks.

Child Support Enforcement

A bilateral agreement on child support enforcement has existed between the United States and United Kingdom since 2007.  The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families,Office of Child Support Enforcement is the U.S. Central Authority for this agreement.

Parents in the United States who need assistance with child support from a parent in the UK must work with their local Child Support Enforcement Office (IV-D Agency) at your local Department of Human Services. The Child Support Enforcement office will forward the application to the UK Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders Section (REMO).

Telephone: 020 3681 2757
From outside the UK: +44 (0)20 3681 2757
Fax: 020 3681 8764

Official Solicitor and Public Trustee
Victory House
30-34 Kingsway
London WC2B 6EX