U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the United States using a U.S. passport.
If you are overseas and your U.S. passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021.
You qualify for this exception if all the following are true:
- You are a U.S. citizen.
- You are currently abroad seeking direct return to the United States.
- You are flying directly to the United States, a United States territory, or have only short-term transit (“connecting flights”) through a foreign country on your direct return to the United States or to a United States Territory.
- Your expired passport was originally valid for 10 years. Or, if you were 15 years of age or younger when the passport was issued, your expired passport was valid for 5 years.
- Your expired passport is undamaged.
- Your expired passport is unaltered.
- Your expired passport is in your possession.
You do not qualify for this exception if:
- You wish to depart from the United States to an international destination.
- You are currently abroad seeking to travel to a foreign country for any length of stay longer than an airport connection en route to the United States or to a United States territory.
- Your expired passport was limited in validity.
Your expired passport is a special issuance passport (such as a diplomatic, official, service, or no-fee regular passport).
- Your expired passport is damaged.
- Your expired passport is altered.
- Your expired passport is not in your possession.
All other passport rules and regulations remain in effect. The Department of Homeland Security maintains discretion to reject any bearer in accordance with 22 CFR 53.2(b)(7) and 8 CFR 235.1(b)
The U.S. Embassy in London is resuming some passport and citizenship services. Please see our website at https://uk.usembassy.gov/america411 for more information. The Consulates in Belfast and Edinburgh continue to offer emergency appointments only. Please be aware that emergency appointment availability is extremely limited.
Most passport renewals for adults do not require an in-person appearance. Embassy London is still accepting routine adult passport renewal applications by mail for all citizens in the United Kingdom.
Welcome to U.S. Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy London. We provide information and assistance to U.S. citizens in England and Wales. If you reside in Northern Ireland, please contact the Consulate General in Belfast for assistance. If you reside in Scotland, please contact the Consulate General in Edinburgh for assistance.
U.S. Citizen Services at the Embassy in London consists of the Passport & Citizenship Unit, the Special Consular Services Unit, and the Federal Benefits Unit. We are closed to the public on U.S. and British Public Holidays.