U. S. Embassy London
U.K. Government Raises National Security Threat Level to Severe
November 15, 2021
As a precautionary measure, the government of the United Kingdom raised its national security threat level to severe on Monday, November 15. A threat level of severe means that an attack is highly likely. The decision has been driven by two terrorist incidents in the past month, reflecting the diverse, complex and volatile nature of the terrorist threat in the United Kingdom.
More information about U.K. threat levels is available at the MI5 website.
Home Secretary Priti Patel said: “It is important that the public remains alert to the threat from terrorism but not alarmed. I urge anyone with information or who suspects any suspicious activity to report it to the police.”
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security and health updates.
Actions to Take:
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, and transportation hubs.
- Review travel routes and times to reduce time and place predictability.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings including local events.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Report social media threats and suspicious activity to local authorities.
- Monitor local news stations for updates.
U.S. Embassy London, United Kingdom
33 Nine Elms Lane
London, UK SW11 7US
+44 (0) 207-499-9000
from U.S.: 011 44 207-499-9000
U.S. Consulate General Edinburgh
+44 (0) 131 556-8315
U.S. Consulate General Belfast
+44(0) 28 9038-6100
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
United Kingdom Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter