Social Security Numbers

If your child has been issued a social security number you must provide it on their application for a U.S. passport.

If you fail to provide the information, you will encounter a delay in processing and/or denial of your child’s passport application.  You will also subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS pursuant to Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E). All questions on this matter should be directed to the nearest IRS office.

If your child does not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: My child has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

If you are in the United Kingdom and your child requires a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.

If your child has been issued a social security number and you cannot remember it, or are unsure as to whether your child has ever been issued one, we recommend that you schedule your child’s passport appointment for 9:30am, 10:00am or 10:30am.  Earlier appointment times are available and may be scheduled if more convenient but this may also lead to a longer wait time at the Embassy while the application is reviewed.