Social Security Numbers

If you or your child under the age of 16 have been issued a social security number you must provide it on the application for a U.S. passport.

If you fail to provide the information, you will encounter a delay in processing and/or denial of the passport application.  You will also subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS pursuant to Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E). All questions on this matter should be directed to the nearest IRS office.

If you or your child do not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have/my child has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

If you or your child are in the United Kingdom and require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.

If you or your child have been issued a social security number and cannot remember it, or are unsure as to whether you or your child have ever been issued one, we recommend that you schedule the passport appointment for 9:30am, 10:00am or 10:30am.  Earlier appointment times are available and may be scheduled if more convenient but this may also lead to a longer wait time at the Embassy while the application is reviewed.