Location: United Kingdom
Event: UK Government Raises National Security Threat Level to Severe
As a precautionary measure, the government of the United Kingdom raised its national security threat level to severe on Tuesday, November 03.A threat level of severe means that an attack is highly likely.
More information about U.K. threat levels is available at the MI5 website.
Home Secretary Priti Patel said the British people should be “alert but not alarmed.”
“This is a precautionary measure following the horrific events of the last week in France and last night in Austria and is not based on a specific threat,” she said. “I would ask the public to remain vigilant and to report any suspicious activity to the police.”
Actions to Take:
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, and transportation hubs.
- Review travel routes and times to reduce time and place predictability.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings including local events.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Report social media threats and suspicious activity to local authorities.
- Monitor local news stations for updates.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security and health updates.
U.S. Embassy London, United Kingdom
33 Nine Elms Lane
London, UK SW11 7US
+44 (0) 207-499-9000
from U.S.: 011 44 207-499-9000
U.S. Consulate General Edinburgh
+44 (0) 131 556-8315
U.S. Consulate General Belfast
+44(0) 28 9038-6100
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
United Kingdom Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates