A strong and independent United Kingdom, like a strong and independent United States, is truly a blessing on the world.” – President Donald J. Trump
President Donald J. Trump Is Working with the United Kingdom To Secure A Stronger and More Prosperous International Partnership
The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
June 03, 2019
AN IMPORTANT NEW ERA: President Donald J. Trump is honored to be back in the United Kingdom during this important time of change and opportunity for its nations and people.
• The longstanding relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom is essential to our shared security and prosperity.
• As the United Kingdom continues to work toward a plan to leave the European Union (EU), the United States pledges to maintain a strong relationship with both.
o The United States will continue to prepare for all outcomes and coordinate with governments, financial institutions, and international bodies to protect its interests.
• President Trump supports Brexit being accomplished in a way that will not affect global economic and financial stability while also securing independence to the United Kingdom.
ROBUST ECONOMIC RELATIONS: President Trump seeks to strengthen our economic ties with the United Kingdom through an ambitious new trade agreement.
• The United Kingdom is one of the largest markets for U.S. exports and one of the largest suppliers of U.S. imports.
• In February, President Trump outlined his negotiating objectives to strike an ambitious trade agreement with the United Kingdom after it leaves the EU.
• As two of the top five largest economies in the world, the United States and the United Kingdom stand to benefit greatly from expanded trade and economic cooperation.
o In 2018, the United States and the United Kingdom had more than $260 billion in two-way trade in goods and services.
• At nearly $1.3 trillion, the United States and the United Kingdom share one of the world’s largest bilateral foreign direct investment partnerships.
o More than 2.2 million jobs depend directly on those investments.
GLOBAL SECURITY AND SHARED PROSPERITY: President Trump is working with the United Kingdom to address global and regional security issues and to promote shared prosperity.
• Now nearly 80 members strong, the United States and the United Kingdom are leaders in the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS.
o The Royal Air Force and other partners liberated more than 110,000 square kilometers of territory and freed nearly 8 million people from ISIS.
• The United Kingdom is working with the United States to hold Iran accountable for its malign behavior and unacceptable rhetoric.
• In Asia, the United States and the United Kingdom are working toward a denuclearized Korean Peninsula and continue to address China’s malicious cyber activities and egregious human rights abuses.
• The United States and the United Kingdom remain committed to NATO’s principle of collective defense, exceeding the 2 percent of GDP required to be provided by the Wales Pledge.
• In 2017, the United States and the United Kingdom signed a landmark science and technology agreement that created a pathway for advancements in early-stage R&D, artificial intelligence, and more.
- Background Press Call on the Visit of President Donald J. Trump and First Lady Melania Trump to the UK, Ireland, and France
- Statement on President Donald J. Trump and First Lady Melania Trump’s Upcoming Travel to the United Kingdom and the French Republic
- State Visit by The President of The United States of America and Mrs Trump (www.royal.gov)