YLUK Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

We love to connect our Young Leaders with the American people and the United States.  We frequently get questions from you about other ways you can engage with the USA, through study abroad, employment, or exchange programs. Below you will find a collaboration of resources and information to get you started on exploring these exciting opportunities.

Studying in the U.S.A.

The State Department has outlined a five step process to conquering the study abroad process with ease.  As well as guidelines and instructions for the process, the Department offers information on finding financial aid.  For more information, the US-UK Fulbright Commission, located in London, has comprehensive advice for studying in the USA.  Read our website carefully for information on study exchange visas and how to apply.



Internships in the United States offer an exciting opportunity for participants to travel, live abroad, and gain valuable career experience. It is possible to go abroad for an internship independently. We suggest researching well-known companies, or local museums, amusement parks, and libraries by location to find opportunities for non-US citizens.  However, agencies, such as Camp America, are designed to coordinate work and internship opportunities abroad. Agencies are best equipped to help potential interns navigate visas, transportation, and housing. Thus, going through a program can make the process much more manageable.


One notable government agency that offers internships for non-U.S. citizens is National Aeronautics and Space Administration.  Click here to see more information on internships with NASA.

The White House

To intern at the White House, you must be a U.S. citizen.  U.S. Citizens click here for more details.

American Embassies

There are full-time job opportunities at the U.S. Embassy in London or the U.S. Consulates in Edinburgh and Belfast for non-US citizens, explained here.  The State Department also has an internship program for U.S. citizens, which places interns at embassies and consulates all over the world. Find details and deadlines here.

Employment Visas

Remember to research what visa you might need for employment in the U.S.  Follow these links for information on temporary employment non-immigrant visas and employment immigrant visas.

Exchange Programs

The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs has programs and initiatives for educational, cultural, and professional exchanges throughout the world for non-U.S. citizens and U.S. citizens. Use their website to find an exchange opportunity in your area of interest, as well as find information regarding travel, living arrangements, and visas.


The State Department also sponsors the Young Transatlantic Innovative Leaders Initiative, which has a fellowship supported by the German Marshall Fund of the United States. This Initiative is quite similar to YLUK, and is designed to empower young European entrepreneurs and innovators, while strengthening the transatlantic relationship.