Consular services at the U.S. Embassy in London and the U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh will be severely limited from Friday, December 15 through Monday, December 18, 2017, due to maintenance of our computer systems.
During this time, the consular sections in London and Edinburgh will be unable to issue U.S. passports, even in emergency situations, and will not be able to communicate with the public by email. If you are in the United Kingdom and need a U.S. passport during that time period, please schedule a passport appointment on December 15 or 18 at the U.S. Consulate General in Belfast. Appointments made in Belfast will require you to personally appear in Belfast. .
Any emails sent to the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh, including messages sent to us through our web-based contact forms, will be reviewed starting on Tuesday, December 19.
The U.S. Embassy and consulates in the United Kingdom maintain helpful information on our website that may assist in answering questions. Please see https://uk.usembassy.gov/.
If you are a U.S. citizen or are aware of one who is in need of urgent consular assistance in England, Wales, or Scotland during this email outage, please call the U.S. Embassy in London during business hours at +44 (0) 20 7499-9000 or the U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh during business hours at +44 (0) 131 556-8315. For after-hours emergency contact numbers, please see below.
For further detailed information regarding the United Kingdom and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Europe Travel Alert, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country-Specific Information Sheet for the United Kingdom.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the S. Embassy in the United Kingdom, located at 24 Grosvenor Square, London, W1K 6AH, at +44 (0) 20 7499-9000, or by e-mail at email@example.com, or visit the Embassy website at https://uk.usembassy.gov/.
- S. Consulate General Edinburgh, 3 Regent Terrace, Edinburgh EH7 5BW, Scotland, at +44 (0) 131 556-8315, from 8:30 am to 5 pm on weekdays. After-hours, weekends, and holidays, call +44 (0) 20 7499-9000, or by email at Edinburghfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- S. Consulate General Belfast, Danesfort House, 223 Stranmillis Road, Belfast BT9 5GR, Northern Ireland, at +44 (0) 28 9038-6100, or by email at email@example.com on weekdays 8:30 am to 5 pm. After-hours, weekends, and holidays, call +44 (0) 1253-501106
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or +1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.