January 5, 2018
Travel Advisories will replace Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts. Every country will have a Travel Advisory, which will provide one of four standard levels of advice. The Travel Advisory will give an explanation for the level and include clear actions U.S. citizens should take.
Alerts will replace Security Messages and Emergency Messages. Alerts follow an easy-to-understand format with clear actions U.S. citizens should take.
U.S. citizens who have signed up to receive updates via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP.state.gov) will automatically receive the United Kingdom Travel Advisory and Alerts via email in the weeks following the January 10 launch. They will continue to receive other messages as usual, including announcements related to voting, town halls, and administrative issues.
For more information about improvements to our safety and security information and to sign-up to receive a notification on launch date, visit http://travel.state.gov/travelsafely
For further detailed information regarding the United Kingdom and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Europe Travel Alert, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country-Specific Information Sheet for the United Kingdom.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the S. Embassy in the United Kingdom, located at 24 Grosvenor Square, London, W1K 6AH (Please note: On January 16, 2018, the U.S. Embassy will move to 33 Nine Elms Lane, SW11 7US) , at +44 (0) 20 7499-9000, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Embassy website at https://uk.usembassy.gov/
- S. Consulate General Edinburgh, 3 Regent Terrace, Edinburgh EH7 5BW, Scotland, at +44 (0) 131 556-8315, from 8:30 am to 5 pm on weekdays. After-hours, weekends, and holidays, call +44 (0) 20 7499-9000, or by email at Edinburghemail@example.com.
- S. Consulate General Belfast, Danesfort House, 223 Stranmillis Road, Belfast BT9 5GR, Northern Ireland, at +44 (0) 28 9038-6100, or by email at ConsularBelfast@state.gov on weekdays 8:30 am to 5 pm. After-hours, weekends, and holidays, call +44 (0) 1253-501106
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or +1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).