Information for American Citizens following the Coronavirus / COVID-19 Outbreak

A person holding a U.S. passport

We recommend that all U.S. citizens traveling or living abroad enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service protected by U.S. privacy law. Once you register with STEP you will receive important updates from the Embassy to help you make informed decisions, and it can help the Embassy and your family and friends contact you in an emergency.

Stay informed, stay connected, stay safe!

U.S. Embassy London
Consular Affairs
March 18, 2020  (updated April 06, 2020 with urgent travel info)

We understand your concerns in light of the coronavirus (COVID-19). We hope that this information will help answer your questions.

Can I still apply for a passport or Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) through the Embassy in London?

Due to reduced staffing the U.S. Embassy in London is currently providing emergency services only until further notice.

I have applied for a passport/CRBA and not received it. What is happening with my application?

If you have previously submitted your application to the Embassy, it will continue to be processed. However, we are unable to advise how long you should expect this to take. You will be notified as soon as the processing of the application is complete.

I was just about to apply for a passport by mail. Can I still send in my application?

We advise you not to mail in an application to the Embassy until regular operating procedures resume. Please continue to monitor our website for the latest information.
Please note, U.S. passports can be renewed at any time before or after they expire, and a U.S. passport is valid for travel to the United States until the day it expires.

My passport has expired and I need to travel imminently. What should I do?

If you have immediate travel and wish to apply for a limited-validity emergency passport, please contact us using our contact form to provide the following information:

  • The preferred appointment date
  • The applicant’s surname
  • The applicant’s given name
  • The applicant’s date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy)
  • The applicant’s contact telephone number
  • The applicant’s e-mail address
  • The names of any non-applicants who will be appearing for this appointment (such as the child’s parents or legal guardians if the applicant is under the age of 18, or a carer)
  • Is the applicant a child applying for their first passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad? Y/N

Please be prepared to show your confirmed itinerary for travel within the next seven days.

Please note, if you will be applying for a passport at the Embassy in London due to a critical emergency, fees can only be accepted in exact cash (GBP or USD):

  • Adult passport renewal: £94 / $110
  • Child passport renewal (under age 16): £98 / $115
  • Adult passport – my last passport was issued before I was 16 or more than 15 years ago: £124 / $145
  • Replacing a lost/stolen/missing/damaged passport: £124 / $145 (aged 16 or over) £98 / $115 (under age 16)
  • First ever U.S. passport: £124 / $145 (aged 16 or over) £98 / $115 (under age 16)

Can I travel to the United States?

If you have questions about returning to the United States, please note that the latest travel restriction does not apply to American citizens, legal permanent residents, most immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation. The Department of Homeland Security will direct those who have been in the Schengen Area who are exempt from these restrictions, including American citizens, to travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures. Travelers are advised to visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website for further guidance on U.S. travel restrictions. You can review the Presidential Proclamation for detailed information.

If you have any questions about travel plans or flight availability, please contact your airline directly.

Can I travel to the UK?/What happens if my UK visa expires while I am in the UK?

The requirements for entry into and requests to remain in the United Kingdom fall solely within the jurisdiction of the UK immigration authorities – specifically UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). That agency is your best source for information about UK immigration regulations and requirements.

If your UK visa or leave to remain is due to expire, you can visit the UK government’s website at for guidance.

Please also visit the Department of State’s United Kingdom country page and our COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information page.

How can I find out more about COVID-19?

Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of links to U.S. and UK government websites providing the most current information.