U. S. Embassy London
Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Incident in Westminster
22 March 2017
The U.S. Embassy in London informs U.S. citizens that there has been a security incident on Westminster Bridge near Parliament. U.S. citizens should heed guidance from local authorities and maintain security awareness. View updates from the Metropolitan Police at news.met.police.uk/ or follow at @metpoliceuk.
Please monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
We strongly encourage U.S. citizens in the United Kingdom to directly contact concerned family members in the United States to advise them of your safety.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and United Kingdom Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in London at 44 (0) 20 7894 0551, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
Facebook Safety Check: The Attack in Westminster
You can check on friends in the affected area or mark yourself safe using Safety Check.
Please follow directions of the local authorities and monitor local news. Useful sources of updates include:
- London Metropolitan Police Service @MetPoliceUK
- The Metropolitan Police on protests & special events in London @MetPoliceEvents
- Transport for London (TFL) @TFL
- London Fire Brigade @LondonFire
- City of London Police UK @CityPolice
- British Transport Police @BTP