If Only One Parent Can Attend

One parent unable to appear:

If one parent/guardian cannot appear with the child to apply for the passport, they can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. The form can be downloaded here (PDF). You must submit the completed form with the child’s passport application. The parent that cannot go with the child must:

  • Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public (U.S. or British Notary or British solicitor), and
  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that they present to the notary or solicitor with Form DS-3053.

Please note: The notarized DS-3053 from the parent that cannot attend must be less than three months old.

Sole Legal Authority:

You must submit evidence of this with the application. Examples include:

  • Court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Court order specifically permitting you to apply solely for your child’s passport
  • Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the onlyparent
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the onlyparent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person.