All Interested Candidates / All Sources
Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning (HVAC) Technicians x 2
July 23, 2018
Open Until Filled
Full-time, 40 hours/week
£41,266 gross starting salary per annum, (consisting of: basic salary £36,154, London weighting £2,100 and bonus £3,012)
Performance Related Pay System
Employee Assistance Program
Season Ticket Loan
Generous Annual Leave & Sick Leave
Paid Public Holidays (U.K. & U.S.)
When mechanical systems break down, are you the go-to person? Do you have experience in maintenance and repair of commercial and residential Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and refrigeration systems? If so, then the Facility Management section, at the U.S. Embassy London, is seeking two experts to be their HVAC Technicians!
Working as part of a team you will be required to carry out skilled scheduled and unscheduled maintenance tasks on HVAC mechanical plant and equipment systems installed at the New London Embassy (NLE) and all government owned properties to ensure that they run smoothly at all times. These maintenance tasks will vary day to day – from undertaking routine maintenance and repair of major mechanical systems within the NLE – to addressing deficiencies and installations in any of the U.S. Government properties; both commercial and residential.
Main duties will include:
- undertaking diagnostic, root cause analysis, and repair work on all air conditioning and refrigeration systems and their relevant controls;
- repairing air and water cooled chiller systems, direct expansion units, split systems, packaged units, heat pumps, VAV’s, commercial refrigerators and walk-in coolers/freezers;
- planning and installation of various HVAC systems;
- ensuring proper refrigerant handing techniques according to regulations;
- fault finding and repairs to all existing installations.
Flexibility is paramount to this position. You will be required to carry out shift duties on a rota basis and take an active part in the out-of-hours emergency call -out on rotation.
The following qualifications are also required. It is very important that you address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item in your application and resume/CV. This will help you in our short listing process.
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
A City and Guilds Level 3 qualification in plumbing or an NVQ level 2 is required, and Gas Safe certification & Sealed Hot Water Systems Certification; or a City and Guilds Level 3 qualification or an NVQ level 2 in Heating/H-VAC, and Gas Safe certification & Sealed Hot Water Systems Certification is required.
Must have served a supervised apprenticeship, or specialised training in Plumbing or Heating/HVAC. Have post apprenticeship work experience in the assigned specialised discipline is required.
Level 4 Fluent English (written and oral) is required.
NLE:- Comprehensive working knowledge of all mechanical systems is required. External GO/LTL:- Thorough knowledge of the installation of all fitments and appliances that require water, gas or electrical services to ensure that installations and repairs are carried out in accordance with standards prescribed by local authorities and current codes of practice is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must have the ability to evaluate a job, select materials, assess the impact the work has on others and apply a valid solution when necessary. The ability to identify problems or dangers and report such incidents or issues through the management structure is required. The ability to communicate in a timely way all aspects of the job with regard to queries that the management customer base may have is required. Ability to work as part of a team is required. Good interpersonal skills are required. Ability to work under pressure and to tight timescales is required. A flexible approach to working as part of an after-hours, emergency call out rota. A current full (manual) UK/EU/EEA driver’s license is required. Ability to safely and confidently operate a van (Class B) in and around central London is required. A willingness and aptitude to learn/train in new technologies for the New London Embassy (NLE) project is required.
Interested candidates for this vacancy MUST submit the following for consideration of their application:
- The London DS0174 Application Form – This is our preferred form of application, as it aims to focus the candidate on the essential criteria of an advertised vacancy.
Please reference our instructions on how to complete the UAE/DS-0174 form.
You must ALSO include the following information in your application for employment:
- Your current curriculum vitae/resume.
- Evidence of your legal right to work in the U.K. such as a copy of your passport biographical page, work visa page and, or, birth certificate. Please do not send originals by mail. Copies are acceptable. Short-listed applicants will be asked to provide, prior to interview, original documentation in support of their legal right to work in the U.K.
- Evidence of Appointment Eligible Family Member (AEFM) Preference (such as a copy of your sponsor’s orders), if applicable. Please do not send originals by mail. Copies are acceptable.
PLEASE NOTE: WHETHER YOU ARE AN INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL CANDIDATE, IF YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE IS INCOMPLETE, YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FURTHER FOR A VACANCY.
Submitting your Application
As an environmentally aware employer, our preference is for you to submit your application by email to LNDRecruit@state.gov
Please ensure documents are in Microsoft Word and/or Adobe Acrobat. JPEG, TIFF or SkyDrive files will not be accepted and your application will be determined invalid. Similarly, if your application exceeds 5MB, your application will be determined invalid.
Alternatively, your application can be mailed to:
The Human Resources & Development (HRD) Office
Embassy of the United States of America
33 Nine Elms Lane