Location: United Kingdom
Event: Health Alert
The UK Department of Health & Social Care confirmed 5,683 cases of COVID-19 in the United Kingdom as of March 22, 2020.
U.S. government personnel are being advised to telework, whenever possible. In accordance with guidance from local authorities, staff reporting to the U.S. Embassy are strongly advised to avoid non-essential travel on public transportation (for the latest information, please go to Transport for London and the Department of Transport websites).
The U.S. Mission to the United Kingdom has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information at https://uk.usembassy.gov/.
Many travelers worldwidehave reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
The government of the United Kingdom has implemented measures to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Schools and universities are closed until further notice, sporting events, festivals, large gatherings of people have been banned. Visit the UK COVID-19 websitefor updated information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Europe advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Europe.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the United Kingdom.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
U.S. Embassy London, United Kingdom
33 Nine Elms Lane
London, UK SW11 8DG
+(44) (0) 207-499-9000
from U.S.: (011 44) (0)20 7499-9000
U.S. Consulate General Edinburgh
+44 (0) 131 556-8315
- U.S. Consulate General Belfast
+44(0) 28 9038-6100
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates