The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.
Health Alert – U.S. Embassy London, United Kingdom (March 25, 2020)
Location: United Kingdom
Event: Health Alert
The Department of State encourages all U.S. citizens to enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security and health updates.
On March 23, Prime Minister Boris Johnson outlined strict new measures to tackle the spread of coronavirus. The new measures include the closure of shops selling non-essential goods, libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms, and places of worship. People are not allowed to gather outside their homes in groups more than two, and social events, including weddings, are banned. The police will be granted powers to issue fines and disperse people. Visit the UK COVID-19 website for updated information.
The Prime Minister advised that people should leave home only for the following reasons:
- Shopping for basic necessities
- One form of exercise a day
- Any medical need/care for a vulnerable person
- Travelling to and from work, only if absolutely necessary.
The U.S. Mission to the United Kingdom has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information at https://uk.usembassy.gov/.
Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. Anecdotally, the Embassy has been informed of hotels closing with little or no warning.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Europe advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Europe.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the United Kingdom.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy London, United Kingdom
33 Nine Elms Lane
London, UK SW11 8DG
+44 (0) 207-499-9000
from U.S.: 011 44 207-499-9000
- U.S. Consulate General Edinburgh
+44 (0) 131 556-8315
- U.S. Consulate General Belfast
+44(0) 28 9038-6100
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- United Kingdom Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter